Subject: Dancing Gay Men Settle Case
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 14:17:05 -0400

LAMBDA LEGAL DEFENSE AND EDUCATION FUND
Press Release

Gay Men Arrested for Dancing Together
Reach Favorable Settlement in Discrimination Case

(CHICAGO, July 20, 1995) --A favorable settlement was announced today in the
lawsuit brought by four gay men who were harassed and wrongfully arrested for
dancing together in a sports bar. The four men reached the settlement after
winning their case against the bar for sexual orientation discrimination at
the trial level in early May.

Under the settlement agreement, the bar must pay the four men an undisclosed
sum for damages and attorneys fees, pay a $2000 fine to the county, and post
a notice pledging compliance with the Cook County Human Rights Ordinance.
 The law prohibits discrimination in public accommodations, employment,
housing, credit and education on several grounds, including race, gender and
sexual orientation.

"This settlement sends a loud message that there is a high price to pay for
discriminating against lesbians and gay men in Cook County," said Patricia
Logue, managing attorney of the Midwest Regional Office of Lambda Legal
Defense and Education Fund.  " We must be given equal access to dance floors,
as well as employment, housing and all other public accommodations. "

 The incident occurred in March 1994 when the four men --  Steve Kleinedler,
Robert Castillo, Craig Teichen and John Pennycuff -- went to the Sidelines
Sports Bar in Harwood Heights, Ill. after a Friday evening of dinner and a
movie.  They  were dancing in couples when an employee approached and told
them they had to  find partners  or stop dancing.  When the men explained
they already had partners, the bar owner called the police.  The police
arrived and arrested all four men.  (The men were later acquitted of all
charges stemming from the arrest.)

The four men brought a discrimination lawsuit before the Cook County
Commission on Human Rights, which enforces the ordinance.  After a two-day
trial in January 1995, a commission officer held that Sidelines indeed
engaged in sexual orientation discrimination in ordering the removal and
arrest of the men.  The hearing officer, Joanne Kinoy, recommended to the
full commission that the bar pay the maximum possible fine, including damages
and attorneys fees.  Today s settlement in essence follows that
recommendation.

"The outcome of this lawsuit should encourage others who suffer
discrimination to stand up to bigotry,"  added Logue, who represents the four
complainants along with Lambda s volunteer cooperating attorney Cindy
Hyndman, a partner in the Chicago-based law firm of Robinson, Curley &
Clayton.

--30--   

Press  Contacts:    Patricia Logue, (312) 759-8110 or Denny Lee, (212)
995-8585