Subject: GREER DEFEATED IN WISCONSIN
From: "Jay Moseley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 18:49:08 -0600

>Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 11:35:09 -0500
>To: logcabin national listserv <[email-masked]>
>From: Kevin Ivers <[email-masked]>
>Subject: GREER DEFEATED IN WISCONSIN

OR IMMEDIATE RELEASE		CONTACT: Kevin Ivers
September 9, 1998		(202) 347-5306 X12

GREER DEFEATED IN WISCONSIN
Another Gay Basher Defeated in GOP Primary -- Dobson and Bauer Continue
Long Losing Streak with GOP Base Voters

(WASHINGTON) The two most prominent leaders of the extreme right were dealt
another serious defeat in yesterday's Wisconsin Congressional primary when
their candidate, anti-gay minister Ron Greer, was defeated by self-described 
"Big Tent Republican" Josephine Musser, former state Insurance Commissioner.

Greer ran on a platform of bashing gays, and received a high-profile
endorsement from James Dobson, head of the anti-gay Focus on the Family,
and Gary Bauer, head of the anti-gay Family Research Council.  Dobson and
Bauer's Campaign for Working Families PAC supported Greer, as did Green Bay
Packers defensive lineman Reggie White, who attacked gays in a highly
publicized speech before the Wisconsin legislature earlier this year.

Musser defeated Greer and four other Republicans in yesterday's primary
after running a campaign which emphasized fiscal conservatism and an
inclusive Republican Party.  The election in the Madison district will
decide the successor to retiring Congressman Scott Klug (R), who supports
gay rights.

"This defeat is yet another sign that James Dobson and Gary Bauer have no
credibility when they claim to speak for the Republican base," said Richard
Tafel, executive director of Log Cabin Republicans.  "In race after race,
Republican base voters have turned out and defeated nearly every candidate
they have bankrolled this year.  In Illinois, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, Utah,
California and now Wisconsin, week after week their candidates have gone
down in flames.  It's time for the leadership to stop dividing Republicans
by pandering to these men and start uniting the Republican Party around
core principles and a positive conservative agenda."

Log Cabin Republicans is the nation's largest gay and lesbian Republican
organization, with 50+ chapters nationwide, a full-time Washington office
and a federal political action committee.  There are local chapters in
Madison and Milwaukee and a Wisconsin state Log Cabin organization.

#####

Log Cabin Republicans		Kevin Ivers
(202) 347-5306 phone		Director of Public Affairs
(202) 347-5224 fax		http://www.lcr.org