Subject: Fwd: ACTION ON RYAN WHITE ACT
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 12:54:38 -0400

I'm forwarding the following in order to obtain widest possible distribution
and to ask each of you as individuals to send the needed letters and calls to
members of Congress (and to ask your friends and contacts to do likewise).  
Regards to all,
Lee Coleman

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:	[email-masked] (Lee Coleman)
To:	[email-masked], [email-masked]
CC:	[email-masked]
Date: 95-07-08 17:20:09 EDT

   The Ryan White AIDS Care Act reauthorization and re-funding bill (S. 
Bill 641) has reached a critical point in the Senate. 
   Despite rantings by Jesse Helms, enough co-sponsors have been gathered to
nullify any attempt by Helms to block consideration by the full Senate.  
Senator Dole has said that he needs to hear from voters and from his 
colleagues in the Senate that they are for bringing the bill to the floor 
for a vote.
   All of us can play a key role in this.  First, all of us, all of 
our AIDS care provider organizations, and all of the politicians we know, 
regardless of their party affiliation, can and should thank Senator Dole for
co-sponsoring the bill and beg his cooperation in bringing the matter 
to a vote.  
  Second, again regardless of party, all of the above in the relevant 
states should thank the co-sponsors, particularly the GOP ones (Kassebaum
and Dole of Kansas, and Campbell (Colo.), Chafee (RI), Cohen (ME), Craig
(ID),
DeWine (OH), Frist (TN), Gorton (WA), Hatch (UT), Hatfield (OR), Jeffords 
(VT), Kempthorne (ID), Lugar (IN), Murkowski (AK), Packwood (OR), Simpson 
(WY), Thurmond (SC), and Warner (VA)).
   Call or write Dole: The Hon. Ropbert Dole, Office of the Republican 
Leader, US Senate, S-230 US Capitol, Washington, DC 20510 (202.224-3135)  
Duplicate calls and letters should go to his campaign office: The Hon. 
Robert Dole, Dole for President, 810 1st St, NE # 300, Washington, DC
20002.  Those who are Republicans must say so for maximum effect.
   Third, all of the above should write the Senators from their own 
states with the same message.  The bill means money to the states 
destined for care to people with AIDS that the states are hard pressed to 
find within their own budgets.  PWAs who are out there without support 
need this money, the issue is not political it is a human care issue!
   Fourth, a House version has been introduced -- HR 1872.  Again, 
letters and calls should be made to your representative of course.  Also, 
and of serious importance, the GOP co-sponsors (Bilirakis (FL), Bliley 
(VA), Hastert (IL), Upton (MI), Klug (WI), Greenwood (PA), Bilbray (CA), 
Brown (OH), Ganske (IA), Moorhead (CA), and Gunderson (WI)) should be 
thanked by people from within and outside their states.  Please ask your 
own representative to co-sponsor.
   TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE.  THE BILLS MUST BE PASSED BEFORE THE ORIGINAL 
ACT EXPIRES.  THE DEADLINE IS SEPTEMBER 30 AND THE CONGRESS IS IN RECESS 
THROUGH MOST OF THE MONTH OF AUGUST.
   For further information, contact: [email-masked]