From: [email-masked] (Chris Ryan)
Date: 12 Apr 95 20:23:50 MDT

For Immediate Release     Contact: David Greer
March 29, 1995                     (202) 347-5306

LOG CABIN COMMENDS KASSEBAUM AND SENATE
LABOR COMMITTEE FOR SWIFT APPROVAL OF
RYAN WHITE CARE REAUTHORIZATION ACT

Washington, D.C. -- The Senate Labor and Human Resources Committee, chaired
by Senator Nancy Landon Kassebaum (R-KS), unanimously voted to reauthorize
the Ryan White Comprehensive AIDS Resources Emergency (CARE) Act.  The bill
now heads to the full Senate for a vote. A hearing has been scheduled by the
House Commerce Subcommittee on Health and the Environment, chaired by
Representative Mike Bilirakis (R-FL)  on April 5.

"Senator Kassebaum and the entire committee are to be commended for their
swift attention to this important issue," said Richard Tafel, executive
director of Log Cabin Republicans (LCR).  "From the restoration of HOPWA
funding to today's vote on Ryan White, the Republican  Congress has
demonstrated leadership on crucial issues facing the HIV/AIDS community."

The reauthorization of the Ryan White CARE Act will direct more than $600
million to provide services to men, women, children and families living with
HIV and AIDS. "Under the formulas proposed in S.641, resources are better
allocated to where the epidemic is currently focused," noted Tafel in
commenting on the new formula proposals.

LCR has urged quick adoption of the Ryan White CARE Reauthorization Act by
the Senate and House, without any negative amendments which would harmfully
detract from the bill's mission.

The House Commerce Subcommittee on Health and the Environment will hear
testimony from LCR Executive Director Richard Tafel and AIDS Action Council
Executive Director Mark Barnes concerning Ryan White reauthorization on April
5.

Log Cabin Republicans was the first national gay and lesbian organization to
declare the reauthorization of the Ryan White CARE Act as its top legislative
priority for the 104th Congress. LCR is the nation's largest gay and lesbian
Republican organization, with 43 chapters in 32 states and more than 10,000
members.

                                                 ###