Subject: (Forwarded) URGENT ACTION ALERT
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Ryan)
Date: 19 Apr 95 17:46:08 MDT

LOG CABIN REPUBLICANS URGENT ACTION ALERT

RE:  Ryan White CARE Act -- S.641

The Senate has introduced the Ryan White CARE Reauthorization Act of 1995 --
S. 641 -- sponsored by Senator Nancy Kassebaum (R-KS).  LCR worked closely
with Sen. Kassebaum on this bill, and in our House testimony, we strongly
endorsed it and urged its passage in both houses of Congress.

OUR BILL MAY BE IN TROUBLE IN THE SENATE.  WE NEED URGENT ACTION NOW!

LEFT-WING GROUPS IN NEW YORK, GEORGIA, FLORIDA, PENNSYLVANIA, TEXAS AND
MICHIGAN ARE DOING ALL THEY CAN TO SCUTTLE THIS CRITICAL LEGISLATION BY
TELLING REPUBLICAN SENATORS IN THEIR STATES TO OPPOSE SENATOR KASSEBAUM'S
BILL.

LOG CABIN MUST EDUCATE OUR REPUBLICAN SENATORS AS TO THE CRITICAL NEED FOR
THIS BILL TO BE APPROVED IMMEDIATELY WHEN THE SENATE RETURNS FROM ITS APRIL
RECESS.

I have enclosed a sample letter to your Senator on this issue.  Club
presidents should write a letter on behalf of the club, but club officers and
club members should also write letters immediately.  We need a volume of
letters MAKING THE CASE, REPUBLICAN TO REPUBLICAN.  Contact LCR for further
information if you need any.

SENATE TARGETS:

Al D'Amato (NY)  
Kay Bailey Hutchison (TX)  
Phil Gramm (TX)
Connie Mack (FL)  
Paul Coverdell (GA)       
Spencer Abraham (MI)
Arlen Specter (PA)                     
Rick Santorum (PA)

SAMPLE LETTER -- S.641 - The Ryan White CARE Reauthorization Act/95

Dear Senator ......:

I am writing as the president of the Log Cabin Club of ...... to express our
strong support for S.641, the Ryan White Reauthorization Act of 1995,
sponsored by Senator Nancy Kassebaum of Kansas.  Ryan White reauthorization
is the number one federal legislative priority for Log Cabin, the voice of
lesbian and gay Republicans nationwide.

The Kassebaum bill was the result of intensive, bipartisan negotiations in
which Log Cabin played a significant part.  S.641 is a bill which ensures
that federal AIDS care assistance will be responsive to the present state of
the epidemic.  It is a fiscally responsible bill which ensures equitable
funding for all areas of the country, but would protect urban centers by
capping any funding shifts away from cities at no more than 7.5% over five
years.  

This is a reasonable compromise in the midst of much needed government
reforms and spending cuts by the Republican majority, and it strongly
preserves the federal government's central role in providing disaster relief
to local communities like those devastated by the costs of AIDS care.

We understand that some urban gay and AIDS groups are opposing the Kassebaum
bill.  These are groups which oppose any attempts by the Republican Congress
to pass successful AIDS legislation like S.641.  Their arguments about
drastic losses to our state are not sound.  Under S.641, [INSERT STATE
SPECIFIC LINE ON FORMULAS]

Log Cabin joins a broad coalition of groups nationwide, including the AIDS
Action Council, Americans for a Sound AIDS/HIV Policy, and the Human Rights
Campaign Fund in supporting S.641.  Its passage would be another example of
how the Republican Congress is responding quickly and fairly to the AIDS
epidemic.  I strongly urge you to join as a cosponsor of S.641, and to
support its swift approval after the April recess.

STATE SPECIFIC LINES ON FORMULAS --

NEW YORK 
 funding to Nassau and Suffolk counties, where the need is growing quickly,
will increase by 34.27% over five years, and total shifting out of funds will
be held firm at 7.5% for New York state.  This is an extremely fair
compromise to ensure equitable funding for people with AIDS across the state
of New York.

TEXAS
 funding to Austin and San Antonio, where the need is growing quickly, will
increase by 8.44% and 7.61% respectively over five years, and total shifting
out of funds will not exceed 3.33% for the state of Texas.  This is an
extremely fair compromise to ensure equitable funding for people with AIDS
across the state of Texas.

GEORGIA
 funding to Georgia will be virtually unchanged in the new formula, and rural
and suburban counties will get a greater share of the funds that they will
increasingly need over the next five years.

MICHIGAN
 funding to the state of Michigan will greatly increase, by at least 16% over
five years.  Funding to Detroit, the center of the epidemic in our state,
will increase by almost 30%, and rural and suburban areas will see increases
as well.

PENNSYLVANIA
 funding to Pennsylvania will greatly increase, by at least 16.93% over five
years.  Funding to Philadelphia, the center of the epidemic in our state,
will increase by almost 25%, and rural and suburban areas will see increases
as well.

FLORIDA
 funding to Orlando and Tampa-St. Petersburg, where the need is growing
quickly, will increase by 8.79% and 7.54% respectively over five years, and
total shifting out of funds will not exceed 4.36% for the state of Florida.
 This is an extremely fair compromise to ensure equitable funding for people
with AIDS across the state of Florida.

Christopher Ryan

50 S. Main #25-S15
Salt Lake City, UT  84144
(801) 364-5930

**********************************************************************
All information contained in this electronic mail message is the
sole intellectual property of Christopher Ryan and cannot be used
without written permission from the copyright holder. (c) 1995,
Christopher Ryan.
*********************************************************************