Subject: Adding an Org. to QRD
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 23:59:16 -0400

I am attaching the most recent newsletter of JAGL (jewish Activist Gays and
lesbians) os that you can get a better idea of what our list "gayjews" deals
with.  If you have any other questions, please e-mail the listowner at
[email-masked].  the newsletter is in Text format and is therefore not
"pretty to look at."

Calendar of Events

 8	JuneThursday, 6:30 PM: Meet to plan Jewish Activism session at the
upcoming International Congress of Lesbian and Gay Jewish Organizations
(ICLGJO), scheduled for July 27-30.  Please RSVP to Miriam Kabakov @ (212)
865-1020.  Place: Miriam's, 310 West 95th Street, Apt. 1E, NYC.   
 12 JuneMonday, 6:30 PM: Education workshop training session.  Learn to lead
JAGL seminars for Jewish youth on lesbian, gay and bisexual issues.  Call
Tamara Cohen to RSVP (718) 230-3621.  Place: The Jewish Community Center of
the Upper West Side.   
 21 JuneWednesday, 7:00 PM: JAGL Banner making party (BYOFood/Drink!).  Join
other JAGL members as we create the most fabulous banner for the Pride
Parade! Call Daniel Chesir for location, (212) 673-5594.
 23  June
	Friday, 5:00 PM: Pride Shabbat.  Join other JAGL members to welcome in Pride
Shabbat at the home of Daniel Chesir, 307 East 8th Street, Apt. 5D, in NYC.
Please RSVP to Daniel @ (212) 673-5594.

25  June
	Sunday, 12 NOON: G/L Pride Parade.  This year, march with JAGL!  We will
meet near the CBST group.  Look for our fabulous banner (which you will have
helped to create!) near that of CBST and the other religious groups.

	 (continued in next column)

(continued from previous column)

30  June
	Friday, 9:30 AM: Support a JAGL member unjustly arrested.  Show up for the
court hearing of Judy Miller, who was arrested for leafleting in front of
Carnegie Hall to protest AZYF's homophobic parade rules. Meet in front of 346
Broadway.

 6	JulyThursday, 8:00 PM: The next JAGL meeting at the Lesbian and Gay
Community Services Center, 208 West 13th Street, NYC.

JAGL Parade Action a Great Success!
Approximately 40 JAGL members and supporters gathered at the Salute to Israel
Day Parade on the corner of Fifth Avenue and 70th Street in New York City to
protest the exclusion of openly lesbian, gay and bisexual groups from the
parade.  While there were a few hecklers, most spectators and observers were
supportive of JAGL's action.  Channel 5/Fox News covered the event and
interviewed Jonathan Springer, the JAGL spokesperson, for the evening news.
 Jonathan eloquently expressed JAGL's position, and successfully countered
the excuses made by the AZYF spokesperson who was also interviewed.  Miriam
Kabakov produced a video of the event, which will make a valuable addition to
JAGL archives.  Plans are underway for JAGL to apply to march in next year's
parade.
  
Court Hearing for JAGL Member Arrested at Carnegie Hall
JAGL members and supporters will gather in front of 346 Broadway at 9:30 AM
on Friday, June 30, to attend the hearing of Judy Miller, the JAGL member
arrested for leafleting in front of Carnegie Hall during the Ahinoam Nini
concert.  While some expect that the charges will be dropped, JAGL has
retained legal counsel just in case the District Attorney chooses to press
the case.     Miller was arrested for leafleting in front of Carnegie Hall
during the concert which was a fund-raiser for the Salute to Israel Day
Parade.  Other JAGL members had personal property stolen by security officers
and were verbally harassed by the head of concert security.  Further legal
action by JAGL against Carnegie Hall or concert organizers is being
considered, as well as against the arresting officer for infringing on JAGL's
constitutional rights to peaceful assembly and freedom of expression.

Busy Summer Ahead for Education Workgroup
The summer already looks busy for JAGL's Education Workgroup.  The Education
Workgroup has been contacted by a number of Jewish youth camps eager to
continue JAGL's very successful discussion series aimed at informing Jewish
youth on issues of importance to lesbian, gay and bisexual Jews.  There will
be a training session for all those interested in participating in these
workshops, please come if you are interested!  (See the Calendar on page 1).
 If you know of an organization that JAGL should contact, or if you were a
camper at a camp that you think could benefit from such a workshop, contact
the Education Workgroup coordinator (see the list of coordinators below).

JAGL Internet Mail List Up and Running!
Can't make it to the monthly JAGL meetings? Miss a few meetings and want to
catch up on JAGL activities?  No problem! Now you can keep up with Jewish
gay/lesbian/bisexual activism through the internet.  JAGL's mail-list
"gayjews" allows you to read and post messages and questions, and to keep in
touch with JAGL between meetings.  But to do so, you need to subscribe: send
an e-mail message (with no header/title) to: 
[email-masked].    
In the message type:
sub gayjews [your name]
You should receive a welcome message shortly thereafter.  To post messages,
address your e-mail to: 
[email-masked]
We hope this will serve as a useful forum for Jewish g/l/bi activism, and as
an addition to the Jewish folders on the Gay and Lesbian BBs at AOL and
Prodigy (but our list is not limited to any one on-line service).  
The JAGL list "gayjews" may also be accessed through the World Wide Web at
gopher://israel.nysernet.org.  Choose "Forums (Lists)," and then choose
"gayjews."  

JAGL Presents at Rabbinical Assembly convention
Approximately 40 people attended the JAGL Conservative Movement group's
workshop at the Rabbinical Assembly convention entitled "Finding Our Home in
the Conservative Movement: Lesbian and Gay Jews."  This was the second year
in a row this workshop was included in the RA's convention.  According to
Rabbi J.B. Sachs, the only out gay Conservative Rabbi, there was a noticeable
improvement in attitude among workshop attendees.  Jonathan Springer led the
presentation, and the panel included Tamara Cohen, a coordinator at the JCC
of the Upper West Side, Bob Goldfarb, a lawyer, activist and coordinator of
Tikkun conferences, Carol Ingel, a professor at the Jewish Theological
Assembly, and Rabbi Jonathan Salzman, whose synagogue is currently
investigating new categories of membership for its lesbian and gay members.
 The workshop was very well received according to presenters.  JAGL is
pleased with the initial success of this workshop, and is continuing to work
for further progress within the Conservative movement.  

If you know of a Conservative Rabbi or congregation that is wrestling with
issues of importance to lesbian, gay and bisexual Jews, contact the
Conservative Movement Workgroup.  We can create a presentation to suit your
needs, or help you organize within your congregation.    

We Do the Work!

Specific JAGL activities and actions are handled by workgroups.  JAGL needs
people to get involved.  If you wish to become involved in an activity,
contact a coordinator:

Education Workgroup: Larry Zankel
Needs Assessment Workgroup: Tamara Cohen
Outreach Workgroup: Stephanie Leveene
Communications and Newsletter Workgroup: Eric Cohen
Budget and Finance Workgroup: Mark Jacobs
Parade Workgroup: Dennis Jaffe
Conservative Movement Workgroup: Jonathan Springer
Bylaws Workgroup: Daniel Chesir

Networking
JAGL has an Outreach Workgroup which explores potential ties and cooperation
with other gay/lesbian/bisexual groups, and other Jewish groups.  JAGL has
several members who serve as contacts with other groups: 
Alliance for Judaism and Social Justice: Miryam Kabakov
Jews for Racial and Economic Justice: Jonathan Springer
Jewish Theological Seminary Group:  Jonathan Springer
Gay Yeshiva Alumni Group: Daniel Chesir
Irish Lesbian and Gay Organization: Carl Stein
Congregation Beth Simchat Torah: Glen Mones
Lesbian Avengers: Stephanie Leveene

JAGL is supported by a  grant from the Shefa Fund
Contacting JAGL

Contacting JAGL:

By Phone: (212) 909-9047
Leave a message and we'll get back to you!

By Mail:  JAGL
	c/o LGCSC
208 West 13th Street
New York, NY 10011

By E-mail: [email-masked]