Subject: ILGA European Conference London 9-13 October 1997
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 18:12:43 +0200 (METDST)

4 August, 1997

To the 
European members 
of ILGA

Dear Friends

ILGA EUROPE CONFERENCE, LONDON, 9th -13th OCTOBER 1997

We are writing to give further information about the 19th ILGA European 
Region Conference, to be held in London from 9th to13th October, and to 
invite groups in the Region which are full members of ILGA to submit 
proposals and nominate candidates for election to the ILGA Europe 
Executive Board for 1997/1998.

You should have already received some information about the Conference 
in a mailing from UNISON, which is hosting it. The UNISON mailing 
included registration forms, scholarship application and cr=E8che forms, 
and a copy of the ILGA Europe constitution adopted at the 18th European 
Regional Conference held in Madrid, together with a copy of the European 
Union Action Plan.

PROPOSALS TO THE CONFERENCE
The Regional Conference determines the policies of ILGA Europe and 
guides the work of the Executive Board within the framework of the 
constitution. Proposals to the Conference, which can be submitted by 
full members in the Region and by the Board, should be appropriate for 
consideration at such a conference.

Full members are therefore invited to submit proposals, which need to be 
received by the Board by Monday 1 September. Proposals may be sent by 
post, fax or e-mail (please see further details below), and should 
clearly state the name of the organisation submitting the proposal, and 
the name of the person(s) submitting the proposal on behalf  of the 
organisation.

NOMINATION OF CANDIDATES FOR ELECTION TO THE EXECUTIVE BOARD
Elections will take place at the Conference for the ILGA Europe 
Executive Board which will hold office until the following Conference. 
There are a total of 8 (eight) places on the Board, consisting of 4 
(four) women and 4 (four) men, and candidates for election to these 
places may be nominated by full members and by the Board.

Nominations are therefore invited from full members in the Region for up 
to 4 women and up to 4 men to stand as candidates for election to the 
Board for 1997/1998. All candidates must be individuals from full member 
organisations, in accordance with the Constitution.. 

Full member organisations can nominate individuals from any full member 
organisation in the region and are asked to fully consider the need for 
the diversity of the membership in the Region to be reflected in the 
composition of the Board, as stated in the Constitution, when deciding 
on their nominations. .

Nominations need to clearly state the organisation submitting the 
nomination, and the name of the person submitting the nominations on 
behalf of the organisation, together with the name of each candidate 
being nominated, the organisation of which they are an individual 
member, and whether they are being nominated for a woman's or a man's 
place on the Board. Nominations may be submitted by post, fax or e-mail 
(please see further details below) and must be received by Monday 1 
September

AGENDA FOR THE CONFERENCE
The agenda for the conference will include consideration of:

the Executive Board's report on work undertaken since the Madrid 
Conference

proposals, including proposals from the Board on the working programme 
for 1997/98

new standing orders 

a financial report and draft budget

There will also be elections for the Executive Board and for the 
region's representatives on the new ILGA World Executive Board 
established at the World Conference held in Cologne in July.

We will be sending a further mailing to members, by mid-September, which 
will include the Board's report, draft standing orders, proposals, and 
the financial report.

EUROPEAN UNION ACTION PLAN
A copy of the ILGA Europe Action Plan for the promotion of equal 
opportunities for lesbians and gay men by the European Union was 
included in the UNISON mailing. The Board is particularly grateful for 
the assistance of members of Egalite in producing this, following 
discussions at the Madrid Regional Conference.

We are enclosing a separate letter which explains the purpose of the 
Plan, and particularly seeks the support of some member organisations 
through considering presenting proposals for projects for some specific 
parts of the plan. The Board would appreciate comments and responses 
from members to the Plan and the Board's suggestions for following it up 
through the development of project applications..

EUROPEAN UNION FUNDING PROGRAMMES
We enclose a copy of an excellent report setting out information on 
European Union Funding Programmes, which was researched and written by 
Anneke whilst working for COC, the Dutch national lesbian and gay 
organisation, last year. The report was presented to the Regional 
Conference in Madrid in December but we are now circulating it more 
widely as part of our work to provide information to members and to 
encourage the submission of project applications to follow up the Action 
Plan.

ADDRESS AND CONTACT DETAILS
Proposals for motions and nominations for candidates in the Board 
elections should be sent to the Executive Board as follows:

POST            ILGA EUROPE EXECUTIVE BOARD
                c/o  Mark Watson 
Stonewall
16 Clerkenwell Close
London, EC1R 0AA

FAX             ILGA EUROPE EXECUTIVE BOARD
                c/o Mark Watson
+44 (0)171 336 8864

E-MAIL          [email-masked]

Enquiries about registration or any other information about attendance 
at the Conference should be directed to 
Kursad Kahramanoglu
UNISON
Civic House
20 Grand Depot Road
London, SE18 6SF
Fax: +44 (0)181 316 7770 
email: [email-masked]

including post and e-mail address

Yours sincerely,

Mark Watson 
on behalf of the Executive Board

***************************
Steffen Jensen
E-mail: [email-masked] 
http://inet.uni-c.dk/~steff
Tel. +45 3324 6435 or +45 2033 0840  Fax: +45 2036 7856