Subject: Nambla
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 94 19:54:25 EST

Senate demands U.N. end ties with NAMBLA 

   By Jim Abrams 
   (c) Jan. 26, 1994, Associated Press 

   WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. contributions to the United Nations would be 
slashed sharply unless it cuts its ties with organizations that condone 
pedophilia, the Senate voted today. 
   In an amendment to the State Department authorization bill, the Senate 
voted 99-0 to reduce U.S. contributions for international organizations by 
$119 million in each of the fiscal years 1994 and 1995 unless the president 
certifies the U.N. has cut off links with such groups. 
   Sen. Jesse Helms, R-N.C., submitted the amendment, citing a decision 
last summer by the U.N. Economic and Social Council to grant consultative 
status to the Brussels-based International Lesbian and Gay Association. 
   Helms noted that one member of the association is the "notorious" North 
American Man Boy Love Association, a group founded in Boston in 1978 to 
promote consensual relations between men and boys. 
   "I never fathomed that the day would come when the United Nations would 
officially condone the sexual molestation of children," Helms said on the 
Senate floor Tuesday. 
   Helms said the United States joined 21 other nations in voting to give 
consultative status to the International Lesbian and Gay Association. Four 
nations voted against it and 17 abstained. 
   The State Department, Helms said, was not aware that the North American 
Man Boy Love Association, or NAMBLA, was a member of ILGA. "They are 
horribly embarrassed about this episode, and they should be." 
   Gregory J. King, spokesman for the Human Rights Campaign Fund, said his 
group, the largest lesbian and gay rights group in the United States, had 
no objection to the Helms amendment. 
   "NAMBLA is not a gay organization," King said, noting that his group 
refuses to join ILGA as long as NAMBLA is a member. He said the Belgian 
organization is now going through a process of expelling NAMBLA. 
   A final vote on the authorization bill, which approves more than $12 
billion for the State Department and related agencies in 1994 and 1995, is 
expected in several days. The House passed its version of the bill last 
summer.