Subject: 11th IGRA Finals Rodeo
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 13:03:19 -0700 (MST)

IGRA Press Release

November 11, 1997

Contact: Thom Sloan
Public Relations Spokesperson
505-272-2670
[email-masked]
IGRA website www.igra.com

The International Gay Rodeo Association [IGRA] has completed its 11th annual
International Rodeo of Champions in Phoenix, AZ, October 23-26, 1997. Over 135
cowboys and cowgirls from across the United States and Canada completed for the
title of International Champion in each of the 13 IGRA events. 

THe title of All Around Cowboy went to Dennis Terrell, Atlantic States Gay
Rodeo Association [ASGRA] and All Around Cowgirl honors went to Carla Byrant,
Oklahoma Gya Rodeo Association [OGRA]. 

Many cowboys and cowgirls were first-time Finals buckle winners in Phoenix.
Some of those included:

Debbie Andrews, Golden State Gay Rodeo Association [GSGRA] - Women's Bull
Riding
Rusty Beatty, Utah Gay Rodeo Association [UGRA] - Men's Bull Riding and
Bareback Bronc Riding
Jerry Cunningham, Colorado Gay Rodeo Association [CGRA] - Goat Dressing
Jim De Line, Missouri Gay Rodeo Association [MGRA] - Men's Chute Dogging
Kathy Kosorok, CGRA - Women's Steer Riding
Slim Pickens, Alberta Rockies Gay Rodeo Association [ARGRA] - Men's Steer
Riding

Other International Champions who have made their way to the Awards podium
before the 11th Finals Rodeo and made it back this year included:

John Beck, CGRA - Men's Flag Race
Candy Bell, GSGRA - Women's Bareback Bronc Riding & Wild Drag Race
Carla Bryant, OGRA - Women's Flag Race
Justin Dennis, CGRA - Men's Calf Roping on Foot
John Mason, CGRA - Goat Dressing
Drew Oberbeck,GSGRA -  Wild Drag Race 
Candy Pratt, Texas Gay Rodeo Association [TGRA] - Steer Decorating, Women's
Break-away Roping & Women's Pole Bending
David Smith, GSGRA - Wild Drag Race
Dave Stinson, OGRA - Steer Decorating
Dennis Terrell, ASGRA - Team Roping & Men's Break-away Roping
Cheryl Wayne, TGRA - Women's Calf Roping on Foot

Also honored at the Finals Rodeo were the Rookies of the year. THese are the
man and woman with who accumulated the most points throughout their first year
of IGRA competition. Honors went to Matt Stark, Kansas Gay Rodeo Association
[KGRA] and Renee Rettstatt, GSGRA.

Another important competition for IGRA this past weekend was the IGRA Royalty
Competition. New Miss, Mr. amd Ms. IGRA representatives were crowned and will
have the responsibility of representing IGRA at rodeos and other events
throughout the coming year as well as raising funds for charities. THe new IGRA
Royalty for 1998 are:

Miss IGRA - Beverly DeMarco, aka Anthony DaSilva, New Mexico Gay Rodeo
Association [NMGRA]
Mr. IGRA - Kurt McGregor, Arizona Gay Rodeo Association [AGRA]
Ms. IGRA - Tamara Marks, Michigan Gay Rodeo Association [MIGRA]

1st Runners-Up
Miss IGRA - Anita Lei, aka Michael Hayward, Nevada Gay Rodeo Association [NGRA]
Mr. IGRA - Rob Hadaway, NGRA
Ms. IGRA - Dot Trevis, Northstar Gay Rodeo Association [NSGRA]

2nd Runners-Up
Miss IGRA - Jame Roberts, TGRA
Mr. IGRA  - Guy Johnson, GSGRA
Ms. IGRA - T.J. Alvis, AGRA

IGRA is very proud of all of our International Rodeo Champions, our new IGRA
Royalty for 1998 and all contestants who competed in the Finals Rodeo and
Royalty Competition. Good luck in the coming year!