Subject: IGLYO Central and Eastern European conference
From: "Suzy Byrne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 14:10:03 +0000

Dear Friends 

Attached is information about our first conference for lesbian gay and
bisexual youth in Eastern and Central Europe.  For Further information
and an application form please send email to [email-masked].  This
form has already been distriduted by snail mail to all IGLYO members

Yours in Solidarity

Suzy Byrne
Chairperson IGLYO

______________________________________________________________________
__

International Lesbian And Gay Youth Organisation

Lets Get Organised
IGLYO's First Conference for
Young Lesbians and Gay men in Central and  Eastern Europe
Budapest 5-12 July 1996

What?

The aims of the conference are to gather together young lesbians and
gay men from Central and  Eastern European countries who are involved
in or wish to be involved in the establishment of local youth
organisations catering for the needs of young lesbians and gay men. 
By meeting with each other and also lesbians and gay men from Western
Europe, information and training will be given to enable participants
to start and/or strengthen organisations within their own countries,
learn strategies to prevent the transmission of HIV and establish
links with peer organisations in Western Europe.

The programme of the conference will be structured in a series of four
tracks.  Some of the issues we hope to address in each track include:
Track A Human Rights  This series of presentations and workshops will
look at the political and legal situation facing lesbians and gay men
in Eastern Europe.  Campaigning and lobbying strategies will be
discussed along with the influence that can be brought to bear with
Council of Europe membership and rulings of the ECHR.

Track B Youth Groups Setting up structures.  Committee Skills and
Group Dynamics.  Coming Out Counselling.  Publicity.  Programme Ideas.

Track C International Youth Work. Introduction to International Youth
Structures.  Planning Youth Exchanges.  Twinning Groups.

Track D   HIV/AIDS  Update on Prevention work in Eastern Europe.
Adopting Prevention strategy within your Youth Group.  Planning
workshops on Safer Sex.  Preparation of Publications on HIV and
prevention of Transmission

How?
Overall presentations on each issue will be made to the whole group
throughout the meeting.  Each participant will choose two tracks and
follow these tracks for the duration of the conference.  At least four
workshops will be held for each track.  These will be discussion and
activity based and will be led by participants and also experts in the
field. New and Experiential Learning methods will be used.  Conference
languages will be English and German.  Participants should have god
knowledge of one of these languages.

Who
Those under the age of 27 who are involved in lesbian and gay youth or
student groups.  Particular priority will also be given to
participants who wish to establish youth groups /and/or wish to make
links with youth organisations throughout Europe with a view to
starting exchange projects. IGLYO in particular favours applications
from women, people with HIV/AIDS, people with a disability and young
people from ethnic minorities.  70% of places will be reserved for
those from Central and  Eastern Europe with the remainder being
distributed to representatives from Western Europe.

Where?
The conference will be held in Budapest. 
The conference is being supported by the European Youth Foundation of
the Council of Europe and the European Commission and other sources

Fun?
Yes the conference is being organised in co-operation with young
lesbians and gay men in Budapest who will participate in the
conference and also organise social activities so that we can truly
experience Budapest.  There will of course be dancing and an
international evening where we will celebrate our cultures and
traditions.

Costs?
The participation fee for the conference (covering food,
accommodation, social activities and conference costs) will be 60 DM
for those from Eastern Europe and 100 DM from other participants. This
is to paid on arrival.  All participants are urged to find the
cheapest possible travel option. Successful participants will be
informed of their selection before 15 June 1996.

Completed Forms should be returned to IGLYO before June 1 1996.
Post:   Postbus 542, NL 1000 Am Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Fax :           +31 20 6188172  Email:  [email-masked]

Forms can be obtained by emailing [email-masked]