From: International Gay Lesbian Human Rights Commission <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Jun 94 17:16 PDT

FORCED HIV/AIDS TESTING Proposed IN RUSSIA

A new draft law on AIDS in Russia will require HIV antibody tests
for anyone suspected of belonging to a 'risk group'. The law would
also allow for the deportation of foreigners who test HIV antibody
positive. The State Duma will vote on the proposed legislation
sometime in the middle of June. Urgent letters are needed to
derail the proposed mass testing program and instead urge the
Russian government to launch the sort of massive educational
programs that have been proven to fight AIDS.

The proposed law will violate international norms of human rights,
anti-discrimination, freedom of movement, and confidentiality. The
law targets "citizens who according to epidemiological indicators
threaten massive spreading of HIV infection", a vague description
that will allow the persecution and discrimination against various
perceived 'risk groups'.

Forced testing is motivated by the erroneous notion that AIDS is
the responsibility of specific disenfranchised communities and not
a common social problem which society as a whole must confront.
Blaming so called "risk groups" for the epidemic only provokes
increased marginalization and discrimination against populations
whose social vulnerability has already made them difficult to
reach.

Ironically, foreigners, drug users, and gay men do not even
constitute the major risk groups for HIV infection in Russia.
Nearly half of the 740 Russians officially registered as carrying
HIV were infected by the re-use of contaminated needles in
hospitals. Given this epidemiological fact, it seems this new law
is in part motivated by the Russian government's interest to white
washing their own historical responsibility for the Russian AIDS
epidemic.

A Sample letter follows:

Dear ___________:

On behalf of the State Duma of the Russian Federation, specialists
of the Ministry of Health Protection have drafted legislation
entitled "Draft Law on Stopping the Spread of HIV Infection in the
Russian Federation".  Not only will it prove impossible to
implement a law calling for forced testing, but most public health
experts agree that mass testing does not prevent the transmission
of  HIV/AIDS. Indeed, such policies may well sabotage treatment
and education efforts by driving those most at risk far from the
reach of public health workers. Resources spent on mass testing
would be better spent on educational and outreach programs that
are proven to help prevent AIDS.

Furthermore, this legislation, especially the clauses regarding
mandatory testing, contradicts international treaties and other
documents signed  by Russia , such as the Declaration of the
Rights of Man and the "Riga Initiative" of World Health
Organization. We ask you to reconsider the "Draft Law on Stopping
the Spread of HIV Infection in the Russian Federation" and bring
it into accord with international treaties, declarations, and
other documents signed by Russia.

Respectfully yours,

Write to:

Ms. Bella Denisenko, Committee for Health Protection, State Duma
of the Russian Federation, Okhotniy Ryad 1, Moscow 103009, Russia;
Fax: +7-95-292-7394

 Mr. Eduard A. Nechaev, Ministry of Health, Rakhmanovskiy per., 3,
Moscow GSP-4, 101431, Russia; Fax: +7-95-925-0128

Dr. Vadim Pokrovsky, Russian AIDS Center, 8-aya ul.  Sokolinoi
gory, 15/2, Moscow  105275, Russia; Fax:  +7-95-365-4680

Mr. Anatoly A. Monisov, State Sanit/Epidem Surveillance,
Vadkhovskiy per., 18/20, Moscow  GSP-4, 101474, Russia; Fax:
+7-95-973-1398