From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 22:53:51 -0400

Dear 'pride' junkies...

It has been estimated that we pride types that are responsible for producing
G/L pride events in North America mobilize over 5 million people annually.
I think it is also fair to say that there is no greater event (meaning Gay
Pride) that is celebrated in more numbersin more cities  than the events that
we collectively produce.  All one has to see is the Global; Calendar of pride
events that has been amassed in the last month over the cyberwaves!!!  More
than 80 cities at last count.

Therefore...knowing what power this can have on the commercial marketing
strategy of various corporations...we should use this power collectively to
promote change.  Why not...the Fundamentalist Christain Right is doing it to
advance their bigotry against us!!

"An eye for an eye"...to quote some famous book.

After surfing the 'NET' and seeing the overwhelming e-mail about Rush
Limbaugh and his Pizza Hut commercials.  I have decided to include some
excerps of what I have read.

FACT:  Our events sell mega millions of food, beer, sodas, and soft goods at
our festivals, concerts, parades, etc.  We have always had the political
discussion of beer companies and who we should boycott because of certaint cor
porate ideologies.  Examples:  Coors and their family's right-wing support,
Miller/RJ Reynolds and the Tobacco PAC -Jesse Helms connection, Nestle Foods
Corporation and their third world explotation...the list continues.

Now it seems the field opens up to soft drinks and other products....and we
sell a lot of them marching around in the hot sun at parades and festivals.

The following excerpts are for your information and consideration in
negotiati ng with various suppliers and vendors you use in your events.

United...we can make a statement...and force change.

In pride.....Tom

************************FOOD FOR THOUGHT********************************

"There have been effective boycotts of Rush Limbaugh's sponsors as well as
groups who hire him as spokesman. They have been supported by NOW, several
church groups, The National Education Association, gay organizations   and
others. The most important thing  is to call and write the sponsors and let
them know where they are advertising. 

Responsible businesses generally do not want their name associated with hate.
The Florida Orange Juice Council, who years ago had employed Anita Bryant in
the same postition, finally dropped Rush as spokesman. They did, but only
after a  boycott. Rush was on the air pleading with people to "chug the
stuff."  Snapple, a former sponsor of his show also dropped Rush's show after
letter writing campaign and a boycott.  

Rush Limbaugh is one of the great American hate mongers of this century. Rush
claims his hate radio shows are only entertainment, but hatred has serious
consequences. It spawns discrimination and violence. Rush's influence  is
primarily stirring up hatred of others by twisting, distorting facts and
disregarding  all evidence that contradicts right-wing beliefs. For three
hours every day, he attacks  the Clinton's, liberals, gays, and feminists.
Through hate mongering, his influence is growing."

"Rush Limbaugh has made a career out of belittling women, gay man and lesbians

in the nastiest ways possible. If you can stomach it, listen for a few days
and you will hear Limbaugh  stir up public hatred aimed at people in those
groups and others for three hours each and every week day. There is also a
video that was  shown recently  on PBS documenting Rush Limbaugh performing
his anti-gay diatribe on why gays deserve AIDS.  Here are a few of Limbaughs
other achievements:

He invented the not so charming moniker, "feminazi", and scolded feminism
for making  it possible for  unattractive women to have a life.

He claimed that lesbians, the Henson's in Mississippi I think, lived on a
pig farm so that they could breed with the hogs.

On his syndicated talk show, he falsely  accused gay men in Boycott Colorado
of extortion in their promotion of a boycott of products made in Colorado
after Amendment 2 passed. The FBI checked out the claims and determined that
they were false. Limbaugh never corrected his error."

"Boycotting not only Pizza Hut, but also Taco Bell, KFC, Frito Lays, and
Pepsi beverages sends a message to the corporate owner that using a fascist
spokesperson is reprehensible and something you will not support.  When you
call Pizza Hut headquarters to let them know that you are not purchasing
their products as long as Rush is in their commercials, also let them know
that you are not purchasing any other Pepsico product.  The corporation
really doesn't care if you boycott Pizza Hut and go to KFC or Taco Bell
instead - they make their profit either way!"

In case your interested, or just want to stir some s__t.

Pizza Hut
1-800-358-2222

Pizza Hut Consumer Affairs
2100 Powers Ferry Road #200
Atlanta, GA 30339-5014

All responses to this allert will be condensed and reposted to the IAL/GPC
mailing list.