From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 20:05:06 -0400

________________________________________________________ 
NEWS from the
Human Rights Campaign
1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
<A HREF="http://www.hrc.org">
WWW:  http://www.hrc.org
</A>
________________________________________________________
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, June 19, 1997
       HIV/AIDS TREATMENT GUIDELINES POINT OUT NEED FOR BROADER ACCESS TO   
                     NEW ANTI-RETROVIRAL DRUGS, HRC SAYS
   Calls Them `A Good Starting Point' To Inform Physicians and Patients
WASHINGTON -- The Human Rights Campaign welcomed  guidelines released today 
by the federal government surrounding the use of the new, more effective 
drugs to treat HIV and AIDS.
        "These guidelines are a good starting point to help inform 
physicians treating people with HIV disease with the new multiple drug 
`cocktails,'" said Winnie Stachelberg, HRC's legislative director. "Now 
Congress must work with the administration to ensure that the federal 
programs providing treatment for people with HIV and AIDS meet the 
standards set forth in the guidelines -- particularly by making these drugs 
accessible to all who need them."
        The guidelines, jointly produced by the Department of Health and 
Human Services and the National Institutes of Health, were created to 
educate physicians and patients regarding the treatment of HIV disease with 
the new anti-retroviral drugs. They are meant to help physicians and 
patients decide which drugs to use and when, based on a variety of factors, 
including the progress of HIV infection. 
        "In light of these recommendations, we  call on Congress and the 
administration to re-examine the AIDS Drug Assistance Program and Medicaid, 
which currently provide drugs primarily to the sickest people with HIV 
disease," Stachelberg said. "We must ensure that these programs allow for 
the early and aggressive treatment of people with HIV, even those with no 
symptoms."
        Currently, AIDS Drug Assistance Programs across the country are 
limiting the number of drugs they provide and restricting access to their 
programs to stay financially solvent. These guidelines have the potential 
to widen the gap between what people need and what these programs can 
provide unless the federal and state governments step in to help.
        Stachelberg urged the administration and Congress to increase 
funding for the federal HIV and AIDS treatment programs. 
        "The president did not request any specific increases in the AIDS 
Drug Assistance Program for fiscal 1998, and no HIV and AIDS programs were 
on the `protected list' in the budget agreement," she said. "These 
guidelines point to the need to rectify this."
        The Human Rights Campaign is the largest national lesbian and gay 
political organization, with members throughout the country. It effectively 
lobbies Congress, provides campaign support and educates the public to 
ensure that lesbian and gay Americans can be open, honest and safe at home, 
at work and in the community.
                                        - 30 -