Subject: HRC Welcomes Agreement on Ryan White Care Act
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 17:51:12 -0400

________________________________________________________

NEWS from the
Human Rights Campaign

1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.hrcusa.org
________________________________________________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, May 1, 1996

HRC WELCOMES AGREEMENT ON RYAN WHITE CARE ACT

                     But Opposes Mandatory HIV Testing
                         As Poor Public Health Policy

WASHINGTON -- The Human Rights Campaign expressed support for the
agreement reached today by House and Senate negotiators on the
Ryan White CARE Act, which will provide more than $700 million to
community-based organizations responding to HIV and AIDS.
     "This long-delayed measure is desperately needed in the
provider community and we are gratified that the House and Senate
conference committee agreed to this level of funding," said
Winnie Stachelberg, HRC's senior health policy advocate.
     The Human Rights Campaign was instrumental in nullifying an
amendment to the bill, proposed by anti-gay Sen. Jesse Helms,
R-N.C., to prohibit federal funds from going to gay organizations
that provide care for people living with HIV/AIDS. 
     "This was a vindictive, discriminatory measure, considering
that a large number of organizations providing care to people
with HIV and AIDS are based in the gay and lesbian community,"
said Stachelberg, who is also co-chair of National Organizations
Responding to AIDS.
     HRC opposes a provision of the conference report that
directs states to institute mandatory HIV testing of newborns if
states cannot demonstrate by the year 2000 that they have
significantly reduced mother-to-child HIV transmission. However,
that provision is mitigated somewhat by a provision of the bill
promoting voluntary HIV counseling and testing for pregnant women
as part of their prenatal care.
     "Mandatory testing is the wrong response to the problem,"
Stachelberg said. "Instead of attracting women and children to
seek health care, mandatory testing drives women and children
away."
     Groups ranging from the National Governors Association to
the American Academy of Pediatrics to the American Medical
Association also oppose mandatory testing of newborns.
     Nonetheless, the Human Rights Campaign supports the overall
bill because it will provide life-saving and life-sustaining care
to people with HIV and AIDS and is a critically important facet
of the federal government's response to the AIDS epidemic.
                                         -30-