Subject: Colorado's Amendment 2 Preparing a Nationwide Response
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 16:39:55 -0400

COLORADO'S AMENDMENT 2
        PREPARING A NATIONWIDE RESPONSE TO 
     THE SUPREME COURT'S UPCOMING DECISION

Sometime between today and late June, the U.S. Supreme Court will
announce its decision to uphold or overturn Colorado's Amendment
2 case.  Passed in 1992, Amendment 2 is a statewide initiative
that would ban the state of Colorado and any government within
its borders from passing or enforcing laws to protect civil
rights based on sexual orientation.  In effect, it would exclude
gay and lesbian people from equal participation in the democratic
process.  

The impact of this decision will be far-reaching and will affect
the lives of all lesbian, gay and bisexual Americans. If the
Supreme Court allows Amendment 2 to go into effect, anti-gay
initiatives will most likely continue to proliferate in other
states and localities. 

The Human Rights Campaign is working in coalition with the
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and local organizers to
coordinate Amendment 2 rallies in key cities across the country.
If your city is listed below, plans are already in the works and
you should check this site when you hear the court decision for
the time, place, and details of the rally.  If your city is not
listed, you should contact your state and local organizations to
see if they are planning a response.  If you would like to plan a
rally in your city, please call HRC at (202) 628-4160, ext. 4046.

Rallies have been set up in:

ATLANTA
Rally Site:      Outwrite Bookstore & Coffeehouse
                      931 Monroe Drive (Midtown Promenade)
Rally Time:    6:00pm on the day of the decision
Contact:         Georgia Equality Project  (404) 329-0656
 
BOISE
Rally Site:      Steps of the State Capitol
Rally Time:    5:30 pm on the day after the decision
Contact:        Brian Bergquist (208) 385-1988

DALLAS
Rally Site:      Arlington Hall      
                      Lee Park, Turtle Creek Blvd & Lee Parkway
Rally Time:    6 pm the day of the decision
Contact:         Dallas Gay and Lesbian Association (214) 528-4233

DENVER
Rally Site:      West steps of the State Capitol
Rally Time:    6:00 pm the day of the decision

OTHER CITIES IN COLORADO:
Pueblo:  6:00 pm on the steps of the City Courthouse the day
of the decision
     
Colorado Springs:  6:00 pm at the Pride Center on the day of
the decision

Boulder:  Day of the decision:  Noon rally at the Dalton
Trumbo Fountain  on the  University of Colorado campus;  

6:00p.m. city-wide rally at the municipal building (SW corner of
Broadway and Canyon) on the day of the decision.

Fort Collins:  6 pm in Old Town Square on the day of the
decision. 

For information about rallies in Colorado, contact Equality
Colorado at (303) 839-5540

LOS ANGELES
If the decision is NEGATIVE, there will be a rally at:

Rally Site:    Corner of Santa Monica and Robertson in West
                    Hollywood

Rally Time:    6:30 on the day of the decision
Contact:        Jim Keys, LA Gay & Lesbian Community Services Center
                     (213) 860-7354
     
ORLANDO, FL
Rally Site:      County Courthouse
Rally Time:    5:00pm the day of the decision

PHOENIX
Rally Site:    Valley of the Sun Gay and Lesbian Community Center
                      3136 N. 3rd Ave.
Rally Time:    7 pm the day after the decision
Contact:        Arizonans for Fairness Coalition  (602) 258-7985

SAN FRANCISCO
Rally Site and Time:   If a negative decision:   Noon at Federal
                                  Bldg. at 30 UN Plaza the day of the
decision
                                  If positive decision:   7 pm Castro and
Market
                                  the day of the decision
Contact:                     Randy at the San Francisco AIDS Foundation 
                                   (415) 487-3085

WASHINGTON, DC
Rally Site:      Steps of the Supreme Court
Rally Time:    7pm the day after the decision
Contact:         Becky at HRC (202) 628-4160 x 4046

The following are dates when the Supreme Court is most likely to
release its decision on Amendment 2:

April 22, 23, 24, 29     May 13, 20, 28 June 3, 10, 17, 24

                                           -30-