Subject: HRC OutVote '96 - Be A Part Of The First Ever Lesbian & Gay Political Convention
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 17:25:19 -0400

________________________________________________________

NEWS from the
Human Rights Campaign

1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.hrcusa.org
________________________________________________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, June 14, 1996

OUTVOTE '96 FEATURES HANDS-ON TRAINING, EXCITING SPEAKERS

                                Chicago Gears Up for First National 
                                  Lesbian/Gay Political Convention

CHICAGO -- OutVote '96, the first lesbian and gay political convention,
promises to draw hundreds of activists here in August, between the two
national political conventions, according to the Human Rights Campaign.

     The three-day event will feature appearances by Sen. Carol
Moseley-Braun, D-Ill., U.S. Housing Secretary Henry Cisneros and Rep. Steve
Gunderson, R-Wisc. Also on hand will be HRC's Campaign '96 spokespeople:
Candace Gingrich, Sean Sasser and Chastity Bono
.
     "It is critically important that gay Americans, along with our friends
and families, play active roles this election season because we will be
literally voting for our lives," said Elizabeth Birch, HRC's executive
director. "OutVote '96 will give our community the skills necessary to help
elect fair-minded officials at every level of government."

     The convention, which will take place Aug. 16-18 at the Sheraton Chicago
Hotel & Towers, will include workshops on such subjects as voter registration
and get-out-the-vote techniques, media and fund-raising. Issues discussions
will center on how to talk about lesbian and gay issues using the latest
polling data; funding for AIDS prevention and research; lesbian health
concerns; and the plethora of issues being used by religious political
extremists against our community.

     The convention will also include the presentation of the first Human
Rights Campaign Equality Awards, to some of America's most courageous
crusaders for lesbian and gay rights. 

     The cost to register for the convention: $95 before July 1; $125 after
July 1; or $140 at the door. HRC has also obtained a special OutVote '96 rate
of $119 per night, single or double occupancy, at the Sheraton Chicago.

      For more information and registration forms, call (202) 628-4160 ext.
8933, or visit the HRC Website at http://www.hrcusa.org.
     
                                              - 30 -