Subject: President Proposes Modest Increases in Federal Efforts for HIV/AIDS
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 18:56:31 -0500

________________________________________________________

NEWS from the
Human Rights Campaign

1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.hrcusa.org
________________________________________________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, March 19, 1996

     PRESIDENT PROPOSES MODEST INCREASES IN FEDERAL     EFFORTS  FOR HIV/AIDS
RESEARCH, PREVENTION AND CARE 
                                
                       Concern Remains Over Medicaid Cuts

                      FOR MORE INFORMATION GO TO OUR
                            WEBSITE AT http://www.hrcusa.org
                                
WASHINGTON -- The Clinton Administration's budget for the federal government
in fiscal year 1997 proposes increases totaling $97 million for HIV/AIDS
research, prevention and care -- a 3 percent rise over current levels.  "AIDS
affects every American," said Winnie Stachelberg, Senior Health Policy
Advocate for the Human Rights Campaign, the largest national lesbian and gay
political organization. "The need for research, prevention, care and housing
is as urgent as ever, and the federal government has an important role to
play. We believe that this budget reflects the president's commitment to
fighting this epidemic."  
     Clinton's budget would increase research programs in the National
Institutes of Health by 2 percent, from $1.408 billion to $1.431 billion.
 Prevention programs at the national Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention would increase 6 percent, from $583.4 million to $617 million.
 Treatment and care programs under the Ryan White CARE Act would increase 4
percent, from $775.4 million to $807.4 million.  
     Stachelberg expressed disappointment that funding would not increase for
Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS, which would remain at $171
million, as would spending for CDC's breast and cervical cancer screening
programs at a level of $45 million.
Lesbians are among the Americans at higher risk for these types of cancer.
     Another area of concern is Medicaid, which the president proposes
cutting by $59 billion over the next seven years.  Nearly half of all people
with AIDS rely on Medicaid for essential medical care -- including 90 percent
of children with the disease.  "While these cuts are less draconian than
other proposals being considered, they nonetheless threaten to jeopardize
people living with AIDS," noted Stachelberg.
     "Efforts to battle AIDS are effective -- but not without money and
leadership" said Stachelberg, who also serves for HRC as co-chair of the
National Organizations Responding to AIDS (NORA) Coalition. She pointed to a
Feb. 2 report by CDC indicating that prevention programs have helped
stabilize the rate of HIV infection. Still, the report found that some 40,000
Americans are infected with HIV each year, that young adults and people of
color remain particularly vulnerable, and that AIDS remains the leading cause
of death among all Americans ages 25 to 44. 
     "Americans recognize that this national epidemic requires a strong
national response," added Stachelberg. "That response is having an effect,
and -- even as we drive for fiscal responsibility -- we must not cut and run
from our commitment to America's men, women and children with HIV/AIDS."
     In the last session of Congress, the Human Rights Campaign and its
coalition partners successfully fought congressional attempts to slash AIDS
funding. As part of that drive, HRC commissioned and released a bipartisan
poll demonstrating that a
majority of Americans of all political stripes support maintaining or
increasing AIDS research, prevention and care.
     The Human Rights Campaign is the largest national lesbian and gay
political organization, with members throughout the country. It effectively
lobbies Congress, provides campaign support and educates the public to ensure
that lesbian and gay Americans can be open, honest and safe at home, at work
and in the community.                

                                                    - 30 -