Subject: HRC Publishes Resource Guide To Coming Out
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 18:10:16 -0400

________________________________________________________

NEWS from the
Human Rights Campaign

1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.hrcusa.org
________________________________________________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, Oct. 9, 1996

HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN PUBLISHES RESOURCE GUIDE TO COMING OUT

          In Time for National Coming Out Day, 
         Booklet Helps Gay People Be More Open

WASHINGTON -- In its ongoing campaign to promote the values of
openness and honesty about being gay or lesbian, HRC's National
Coming Out Project today announced the publication of its
Resource Guide to Coming Out. Timed to coincide with National
Coming Out Day on Oct. 11, HRC is making the booklet available to
lesbian and gay bookstores, community groups, student organizations and
individuals.

     "Coming out can be such a challenge for lesbian, gay and
bisexual Americans, so HRC is providing people with basic
information to show them where they can turn as they strive to
accept themselves," according to HRC Executive Director Elizabeth
Birch. "Polls show that Americans who know gay people are much
more supportive of ending discrimination -- so coming out is
important both personally and politically."

     HRC's booklet provides information to help people come out
to themselves and others, and includes a listing of organizations
and books they can refer to for further assistance. In addition
to the Guide, HRC's National Coming Out Project is sponsoring a
"Come Out Voting" rally in Washington on Oct. 11, and continues
to provide guidance to local organizations that are planning
their own National Coming Out Day events.

     The rally is just one of hundreds of events around the
country celebrating National Coming Out Day, created in 1988 to
recognize the importance of coming out and to honor the first
anniversary of the 1987 march on Washington for lesbian and gay
equal rights. HRC's National Coming Out Project is an ongoing
campaign to help end discrimination by encouraging and assisting
gay people to be open and honest about their lives.

     Copies of the HRC's Resource Guide to Coming Out can be
obtained by calling HRC's National Coming Out Project at (800)
866-6263 or sending an email to [email-masked]. The Guide can
also be accessed through HRC's Website at:

    http://www.hrcusa.org/whowhat/whatwedo/ncop/resource

                            - 30 -