Subject: Governors' Medicaid Plan Puts People With AIDS At Risk
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 17:09:53 -0500

________________________________________________________

NEWS from the
Human Rights Campaign

1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.hrcusa.org
________________________________________________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, Feb. 7, 1996

                      GOVERNORS' MEDICAID PLAN PUTS
                        PEOPLE WITH AIDS AT RISK
                                    
           HRC Calls on Clinton to Retain Coverage Guarantees
                                    
                   GO TO HRC's ONLINE ACION CENTER TO
                     SEND YOUR MESSAGES TO CONGRESS
                         htttp://www.hrcusa.org

Washington--The National Governors Association plan to overhaul
Medicaid includes a dangerous provision that could jeopardize the
lives and well-being of people with HIV and AIDS, the Human
Rights Campaign asserted Wednesday.

HRC, the nation's largest national lesbian and gay organization,
objects to a measure that would allow states to define who is
"disabled" in determining Medicaid eligibility. HRC called on
President Clinton to reject this plan unless the provision is
removed.

"This proposal opens the door to states to exclude people who
have expensive or politically unpopular disabilities, including
AIDS and HIV." said Winnie Stachelberg, HRC's senior health
policy advocate. "In the name of giving  flexibility to the
states,' the governors appear willing to endanger lives. We can't
risk the possibility of 50 different definitions of disability."

HRC called on Clinton to stand firm against this portion of the
governors' proposal. Clinton has spoken positively about the
overall plan but also said he needs assurances that people
who are currently eligible for Medicaid assistance would remain
eligible.

The governors' plan would also eliminate mechanisms now in place
that hold states accountable for providing Medicaid coverage as
mandated by law. The current federal standards should remain in
place, Stachelberg said.

HRC also wants the president to ensure that any Medicaid reform
protects the level of benefits available for people with HIV or
AIDS and preserves the quality of care for Medicaid
beneficiaries. 

Nearly half of all Americans living with AIDS are served by
Medicaid -- including more than 90 percent of children with the
disease.

The Human Rights Campaign is the largest national lesbian and gay
political organization, with members throughout the country. It 
effectively lobbies Congress, provides campaign support and
educates the public to ensure that lesbian and gay Americans can
be open, honest and safe at home, at work and in the community.

                                 - 30 -