Subject: Newt Gingrich Whips Up Fear Of HIV In Criticizing Administration's Asylum Policy

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 12:02:34 -0400

________________________________________________________

NEWS from the
Human Rights Campaign

1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
<A HREF="http://www.hrcusa.org">
WWW:    http://www.hrcusa.org
</A>
________________________________________________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, Oct. 16, 1996

 GINGRICH WHIPS UP FEAR OF HIV IN CRITICIZING ADMINISTRATION'S
                          ASYLUM POLICY
 Sorry Effort To Condemn Administration's Compassion, HRC Says

WASHINGTON -- House Speaker Newt Gingrich is trying to capitalize
on anti-AIDS fear and prejudice by criticizing the administration
for considering HIV status in some asylum cases.

     "Gingrich is creating  a volatile political mixture by
whipping together the ostracism faced by people with HIV and AIDS
and the anti-immigration fever sweeping this country," said
Winnie Stachelberg, HRC's deputy  director for legislation. "This
is a sorry effort to score political points off people with HIV
and condemn President Clinton for showing compassion -- a trait
Newt Gingrich clearly lacks."

     Earlier this month, an immigration judge in New York granted
asylum to  a 30-year-old computer engineer from Togo on the
grounds that he is HIV-positive and feared he would be persecuted
in his homeland. The case is believed to be the first such court
ruling stemming from a change in immigration policy to allow the
Immigration and Naturalization Service to consider HIV infection
as a factor when considering asylum cases.

     Last weekend, Gingrich accused the administration of
creating conditions where "you can come to America illegally,
sneak into the country, announce that you're HIV-positive, be
declared a political refugee and be eligible for $120,000 in
benefits."

     Stachelberg said Gingrich was mischaracterizing the policy
and twisting facts.

     "If you look carefully, the policy says  where appropriate,'
the INS can consider HIV in asylum cases," Stachelberg said. "As
for the $120,000 in benefits, Gingrich just made that up."

     The Human Rights Campaign is the largest national lesbian
and gay political organization, with members throughout the
country. It effectively lobbies Congress, provides campaign
support and educates the public to ensure that lesbian and gay
Americans can be open, honest and safe at home, at work and in
the community.

                             - 30 -