Subject: ACTION ALERT: ENDA Vote
From: James Yorton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 00:54:09 -0500 (CDT)

Last Chance to Call Your U.S. Senators Before Sept. 5 Vote on Job 
Discrimination Bill:  U.S. Senate 202-224-3121.

PLEASE FORWARD, POST AND DISTRIBUTE THIS MESSAGE TO AS MANY 
FAIR-MINDED FOLKS AS YOU CAN:
________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE from the Human Rights Campaign
Wednesday, August 28, 1996

LAST CHANCE TO URGE YOUR SENATORS TO SUPPORT
THE EMPLOYMENT NON-DISCRIMINATION ACT BEFORE SEPT. 5 VOTE

Act Now to Pass Bill Protecting Americans
From Job Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation

A historic vote in the U.S. Senate is set for Sept. 5 on a bill to end 
job discrimination based on sexual orientation. If you haven't 
contacted your senators yet, now is the time to act. Urge your 
senators to support the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA, S. 
932) as an amendment to the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA, S.1740), 
and to oppose DOMA itself.  This is the last chance you and your 
friends will have to make your voices heard before this critical vote 
-- so act now. Call your Senators at (202) 224-3121.

Background

   Since the House passed the anti-gay marriage bill July 12, the 
Senate is our only hope for something positive to come out of this  
election-year spectacle. The bad news is that DOMA is virtually 
certain to pass the Senate. The good news is that it can at least 
deliver some basic fairness in the workplace if we each do our part to 
have the Senate pass the ENDA amendment to it.
   The Defense of Marriage Act would allow states to ignore gay 
marriages performed in other states, and would create an unprecedented 
federal definition of marriage to exclude gay unions from all federal 
benefits should any state decide to legalize same-sex marriage.
   The Employment Non-Discrimination Act would protect Americans from 
job discrimination based on sexual orientation. President Clinton 
endorsed ENDA last October.
   While gay marriage is not legal in any of the 50 states, it is 
legal in 41 states to be fired from your job simply because you are 
gay. Congress should focus on the real problem of job discrimination 
against gay people that affects Americans right now. A Hawaii court 
case that has sparked the gay marriage debate is not expected to be 
decided for approximately two years.
   With help from you and your friends, the ENDA amendment has a 
historic chance to succeed in the Senate.

Act Now

   Contact your U.S. senators immediately and urge them to support the 
Employment Non-Discrimination Act (S. 932) as an amendment to the 
so-called "Defense of Marriage Act" (S. 1740), and to DOMA itself. 
Refer to each bill by its appropriate number. Call, fax, and e-mail 
your senators. You can also contact them through the Human Rights 
Campaign's World Wide Web site at http://www.hrcusa.org. 
   To call your senators, you can dial the Capitol switchboard, even 
if you aren't sure who they are. Just ask the switchboard operator and 
you will be connected.  Ask for their fax numbers and e-mail addresses 
as well:

Call U.S. Senate:   (202) 224-3121

   Ask all of your friends to help out, too. For more information, 
please contact the Human Rights Campaign at (202) 628-4160 and ask to 
speak with the field team.
   The Human Rights Campaign is the largest national lesbian and gay 
political organization, with members throughout the country. It 
effectively lobbies Congress, provides campaign support, and educates 
the public to ensure that lesbian and gay Americans can be open, 
honest, and safe at home, at work, and in the community.  To join, 
call (800) 777-4723.

- 30-