Subject: Dole Ad Panders To Religious Politcial Extremists, HRC Says
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 18:14:29 -0400

________________________________________________________

NEWS from the
Human Rights Campaign

1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.hrcusa.org
________________________________________________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, Oct. 9, 1996

DOLE AD PANDERS TO RELIGIOUS POLITICAL EXTREMISTS, HRC SAYS

      Insidious Gay-Baiting Illustrates Desperation

WASHINGTON -- In a targeted radio ad entitled "Moral Crisis," Bob
Dole has once again resorted to scapegoating gay people and
groveling for the votes of extremists, according to the Human
Rights Campaign.

     "This is clearly a case of the Christian Coalition saying, 
Jump,' and Bob Dole responding,  How low do you want me to go?'"
said Daniel Zingale, HRC's political director. "Once again, Bob
Dole is pandering to the religious political extreme elements of
his party,"

     The 60-second ad, which is only airing on right-wing radio
stations in the Midwest, attempts to paint President Clinton as a
liberal for seeking to end anti-gay discrimination in the
military. It also attacks Clinton for his policies on women's
health, and prevention of sexually transmitted diseases and teen
pregnancy.

     "This is just another sign that Dole's campaign is
foundering," Zingale added. "When all else fails, he demagogues
against gays and kowtows to anti-abortion extremists. Bob Dole's
bridge to the past would be a disaster for gay and lesbian
Americans."

     Last month, Christian Coalition founder Pat Robertson told
his group's annual conference it would take "a miracle from
Almighty God" for Dole to win the White House. On Monday, he
downgraded Dole's chances even further, predicting a Clinton
"blowout" in November.

     The Christian Coalition, which generally aligns itself with
conservative Republican candidates, has been urging Dole to put
more emphasis in his campaign on the social issues such as
abortion that are important to its members.

     Dole is not the only federal candidate resorting to using
gays as political scapegoats. The Republican National Committee
helped pay for a gay-bashing television ad on behalf of Sen.
Jesse Helms, who is running for re-election in North Carolina.
The Helms ad attacks his opponent, Harvey Gantt, for his past
support for the gay and lesbian community. 

	The Human Rights Campaign, the largest national lesbian and
gay political organization, with members throughout the country,
effectively lobbies Congress, provides campaign support, and
educates the public to ensure that lesbian and gay Americans can
be open, honest, and safe at home, at work, and in the community.

                            - 30 -