Subject: HRC Blasts Mean-Spirited, Unnecessary Measures in Defense Bill
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 20:12:38 -0500

________________________________________________________
NEWS from the
Human Rights Campaign

1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.hrcusa.org
________________________________________________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, Jan. 25, 1996

HRC BLASTS MEAN-SPIRITED, UNNECESSARY MEASURES IN DEFENSE BILL
 Dornan, Lott Pushed Provision to Discharge HIV+ Troops

  Send Messages to Dornan and Lott through HRC's WWW Site
                  http://www.hrcusa.org

Washington -- The Human Rights Campaign blasted the extremist
Republicans responsible for a discriminatory HIV measure in the
defense spending bill that President Clinton indicated Thursday
he will sign.

     "Democrats and several moderate Republicans on the
House-Senate conference committee tried to strike this
discriminatory HIV provision from the bill," said Winnie
Stachelberg, HRC's senior health policy advocate. "But they were
thwarted by the power and, in this case, wrong-headed
determination of Senator Trent Lott of Mississippi."
 
     The provision was written by Rep. Robert Dornan, R-Calif.,
and strongly backed by Lott, the Senate Republican whip. It 
would force the Pentagon to discharge all service members with
the virus that causes AIDS.

     White House spokesman Mike McCurry said Thursday that
Clinton has reservations about the HIV provision but plans to
sign the bill. The $265 billion authorization passed the House on
Wednesday and is expected to be voted on in the Senate on Friday.

     The bill directs the Pentagon to discharge all service
members who test positive for the virus that causes AIDS, even if
they are  healthy and serving their country competently. HRC
called the measure mean-spirited and unnecessary.

     "This measure removes trained, experienced, physically
healthy and productive men and women from the armed forces,"
Stachelberg added. "It singles out men and women with HIV and
treats them differently from service members with other
diseases."

     Under the Dornan provision, some 1,150 HIV-positive service
members would face early discharge and seriously reduced
benefits.

     Currently, HIV-positive service members may serve their
country as long as they can perform their duties, but they are
not deployed overseas. The same policy is applied to service
members who have other chronic medical conditions such as
diabetes, asthma, heart disease or cancer.

     The Human Rights Campaign also objects to a provision in the
bill that would ban abortions at overseas military hospitals. 
Clinton had objected to this and the HIV provision when he vetoed
an earlier version of the defense bill in December. Congress then
went back and removed some of the other provisions the president
opposed.

     The Human Rights Campaign is the largest national lesbian
and gay political organization, with members throughout the
country. It effectively lobbies Congress, provides campaign
support and educates the public to ensure that lesbian and gay
Americans can be open, honest and safe at home, at work and in
the community.

                           - 30 -