Subject: Lou Sheldon's Anti-Gay Hearings set for 12/5/95 & 12/6/95
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 14:26:08 -0500

________________________________________________________

NEWS from the
Human Rights Campaign

1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.hrcusa.org
________________________________________________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, November 28, 1995

STOP CONGRESSIONAL ANTI-GAY HEARINGS NOW SET FOR
                                       DECEMBER 5 AND 6

         URGE YOUR REPRESENTATIVES AND SUBCOMMITTEE         CHAIRMAN PETER
HOEKSTRA TO CANCEL HOUSE PANEL                     SOUGHT BY EXTREMIST LOU
SHELDON

     GO TO HRC'S WEBSITE TO SEND AN URGENT MESSAGE TO               YOUR
REPRESENTATIVE AND REP. HOEKSTRA
                                       http://www.hrcusa.org

Washington -- Congress needs to hear from you immediately.  A
congressional panel has again rescheduled hearings sought by
anti-gay extremist Lou Sheldon that seek to mischaracterize and
distort local school efforts to protect young people from hate
violence, AIDS, and suicide. The "Parents, Schools, and Values"
hearings, which had been scheduled and postponed twice before,
are now set for Dec. 5 and 6 in the Oversight and Investigations
Subcommittee of the House Economic and Educational Opportunities
Committee.  The hearings should be cancelled because they cannot
be made fair.

                                                    ACT NOW

1. Call your member of the U.S. House of Representatives through
the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121.  Ask your representative
to urge the subcommittee's chairman, Rep. Peter Hoekstra (R-Mich.),
to cancel the hearings because they would threaten local control of
education and attack local school efforts to protect young people
from bias-motivated violence, AIDS, and suicide.

2. Contact Chairman Hoekstra's office immediately and urge that he 
cancel the hearings:

Chairman Peter Hoekstra (R-Mich.)
Phone: (202) 225-4401
Fax:  (202) 226-0779
E-mail: [email-masked]

3. Send an instant, automated message to Congress through the Human Rights
Campaign's site on the World Wide Web at
http://www.hrcusa.org.

The Human Rights Campaign, the largest national lesbian and gay
political organization, with members throughout the country,
effectively lobbies Congress, provides campaign support, and
educates the public to ensure that lesbian and gay Americans can be
open, honest, and safe at home, at work, and in the community.

                                                              - 30 -
________________________________________________________