Subject: House Panel Postpones Hearing on Schools
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 12:30:14 -0400

*****************************************************************
PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

 The Nation's Largest Lesbian and Gay Equal Rights Organization
*****************************************************************
To contact the HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND, please call us at     
(202)628-4160, fax us at (202) 347-5323 or write to us at PO Box 
1396  Washington, DC  20013.  
*****************************************************************

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Friday, September 29, 1995

             HOUSE PANEL AGAIN POSTPONES HEARING ON SCHOOLS
                                    
              -- For Second Time, Subcommittee Delays Forum
                     Sought by Anti-Gay Extremist --

     Washington -- Staffers for a House subcommittee today
announced a second postponement of a planned hearing on local
school efforts to protect young people from AIDS, hate violence,
and suicide.  The hearing, which had initially been scheduled to
occur September 12, had been tentatively rescheduled for October
13.  Entitled "Parental Involvement in Social Issues in
Education," the taxpayer-funded forum originally had been sought
by anti-gay extremist Lou Sheldon of the Traditional Values
Coalition.

After the hearing did not appear on the latest edition of the
panel's activity report, a majority staffer for the Oversight and
Investigations Subcommittee of the House Economic and
Educational Opportunities Committee confirmed that the forum has
again been delayed.  No new date has been set.

The Human Rights Campaign Fund continues encouraging concerned
citizens to call their members of Congress at (202) 224-3121 and
ask them to urge Subcommittee Chairman Peter Hoekstra (R-Mich.)
for an outright cancellation of the hearing.  HRCF's position
remains that the hearings cannot be made fair, and should not be
held.

HRCF is also calling for young people who have experienced
anti-gay discrimination and violence in school to send their
stories to:

Kris Pratt                  or    Rea Carey
Human Rights Campaign Fund        National Advocacy Coalition
1101 14th Street, NW Ste 200      on Youth and Sexual Orientation
Washington, DC 20005              1025 Vermont Ave., NW  Ste 200
Phone: (202) 628-4160             Washington, DC 20005
Fax: (202) 347-5323               Phone: (202) 783-4165 ext. 49
                                  Fax: (202) 347-2263

The Human Rights Campaign Fund (HRCF), the largest national
lesbian and gay political organization, works to end
discrimination, secure equal rights, and protect the health and
safety of all Americans.  With a national staff, and volunteers
and members throughout the country, HRCF lobbies the federal
government on lesbian, gay, and AIDS issues; educates the general
public; participates in election campaigns; organizes volunteers;
and provides expertise and training at the state and local level.

                            - 30 -

    1101 14th Street, NW  Suite 200  Washington, DC  20005      
          phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323