Subject: RYAN WHITE SENATE VOTE - HELMS - CALL YOUR SENATORS TODAY
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 17:56:59 -0400

*****************************************************************
ACTION ALERT             ACTION ALERT             ACTION ALERT

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

The Nation's Largest Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Political Group   
*****************************************************************
To contact the HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND, please call us at     
(202)628-4160, fax us at (202) 347-5323 or write to us at PO Box 
1396  Washington, DC  20013.  WE CANNOT RESPOND TO E-MAIL.  
*****************************************************************

Tuesday, JULY 25, 1995
5:00 p.m.

                       RYAN WHITE CARE ACT UPDATE

       SENATE VOTE POSTPONED - HELMS TO OFFER ANTI-GAY AMENDMENTS
                                    
            CALL YOUR SENATOR AND SENATOR DOLE NOW!          

Although full Senate action on the Ryan White CARE Act was 
scheduled for Monday, July 24, opening debate began on Friday,
July 21.  Senator Helms charged homosexuals with exploiting Ryan
White's death for political purposes: 

"The homosexual lobby has one of the toughest lobbying outfits in
this country...they talk about little Ryan White...he died of
AIDS, and now his name is being exploited as if the homosexuals
didn't have anything to do with the tainted blood he got," among
other things.  
          
There is no assurance that the CARE Act will come up before the
August recess -- it is pending legislation along with other
legislation. It is important that the Senate  leadership (Dole,
Daschle, Kassebaum) hears about how critical the CARE Act is to
people infected and affected by HIV so that Majority Leader Dole
brings the CARE Act to floor.  
          
We are concerned that amendments may be offered that would seek
to deny CARE Act funds to community-based organizations that 
serve the gay community.  Senator Helms claims that these
organizations "promote or encourage homosexual activity or
injection drug use."
                              
We are urging all Senators to oppose such amendments which would
undermine the fundamental structure and purpose of the Act and
pass S.641 expeditiously.  The Ryan White CARE Act is a vital
federal program providing care to thousands of men, women and
children living with HIV/AIDS across the country.

Call the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121 and you will be
connected to your Senators' offices.  Ask to speak to the person
who deals with AIDS issues.  You can also fax and e-mail.  Urge
your Senators to oppose any negative amendments to the Ryan White
CARE Act. 

     1101 14th Street, NW  Suite 200  Washington, DC  20005      
          phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323