Subject: URGENT: RYAN WHITE SENATE VOTE TODAY - 2 PM
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 12:16:36 -0400

*****************************************************************
ACTION ALERT             ACTION ALERT             ACTION ALERT

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

The Nation's Largest Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Political Group   
*****************************************************************
To contact the HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND, please call us at     
(202)628-4160, fax us at (202) 347-5323 or write to us at PO Box 
1396  Washington, DC  20013.  WE CANNOT RESPOND TO E-MAIL.  
*****************************************************************

Wednesday, JULY 26, 1995
Noon

                      SENATE VOTE TODAY AT 2:00 PM

                          RYAN WHITE CARE ACT 
                                    
                   HELMS TO OFFER ANTI-GAY AMENDMENTS
                                                      
                         CALL YOUR SENATORS NOW!          

According to our information, the Senate floor debate on the Ryan
White CARE Act will resume today at 2:00 p.m. We expect the full
Senate vote to follow.  Senator Helms has charged  homosexuals
with exploiting Ryan White's death for political purposes: 

"The homosexual lobby has one of the toughest lobbying outfits in
this country...they talk about little Ryan White...he died of
AIDS, and now his name is being exploited as if the homosexuals
didn't have anything to do with the tainted blood he got," among
other things.  
          
Senator Helms has indicated his intent to offer amendments that
would seek to deny CARE Act funds to community-based
organizations that serve the gay community.  Senator Helms claims
that these organizations "promote or encourage homosexual
activity or injection drug use."
                              
Urge your Senators to oppose such amendments which would
undermine the fundamental structure and purpose of the Act and
pass S.641 expeditiously.  The Ryan White CARE Act is a vital
federal program providing care to thousands of men, women and
children living with HIV/AIDS across the country.

Call the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121 and you will be
connected to your Senators' offices.  Ask to speak to the person
who deals with AIDS issues.  You can also fax and e-mail.  Urge
your Senators to oppose any negative amendments to the Ryan White
CARE Act. 

     1101 14th Street, NW  Suite 200  Washington, DC  20005      
          phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323