Subject: Former Oregon Governor Barbara Roberts Joins HRCF Board
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 15:40:14 -0400

*****************************************************************
PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

 The Nation's Largest Lesbian and Gay Equal Rights Organization
*****************************************************************
To contact the HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND, please call us at     
(202)628-4160, fax us at (202) 347-5323 or write to us at PO Box 
1396  Washington, DC  20013.  
*****************************************************************
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Sunday, September 24, 1995

         FORMER OREGON GOVERNOR BARBARA ROBERTS JOINS
          THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF LARGEST NATIONAL
               LESBIAN AND GAY POLITICAL GROUP

     Washington -- The Human Rights Campaign Fund (HRCF)
announced today that Barbara Roberts, former Governor of Oregon,
has joined the organization s board of directors. The
announcement was made following the board s quarterly meeting
which took place in New Orleans this weekend. Governor Roberts,
currently Director of the Program for Senior Executives in State
and Local Government at the John F. Kennedy School of Government
at Harvard University, was Governor of Oregon from 1991 to 1995.

 I am looking forward to participating in the leadership of
HRCF," said Governor Roberts.   We must enlist the support of
more and more non-gay citizens to join this effort to ensure that
all Americans without exception may live free from
discrimination.  

Governor Roberts worked valiantly with Oregon s lesbian and gay
community to defeat anti-gay initiatives in Oregon in 1992 and
1994. She joined retired Senator Barry Goldwater (R-Ariz.)  as
co-chair of HRCF's Americans Against Discrimination project in
1994, which helped rebuff all of the anti-gay ballot measures
that threatened to institutionalize discrimination in 10 states
last year.

During her term as Governor of Oregon, Roberts appointed the
largest number of judges of any governor in Oregon history,
including the most women, people of color, and lesbians and gay
men. Her hundreds of appointments to state boards and commissions
also reflected this strong commitment to diversity. Prior to
being elected governor, Roberts was Oregon s Secretary of State
from 1985 to 1991. She was a member of the Oregon House of
Representatives from 1981 to 1985 and served as majority leader
of the House in 1983 and 1984.

 We are honored that Governor Roberts will be serving on our
board,  said HRCF Executive Director Elizabeth Birch.  She brings
her wealth of experience and stature to a gifted and talented
group of volunteers that guide the policies and financial health
of HRCF."

The Human Rights Campaign Fund (HRCF), the largest national
lesbian and gay political organization, works to end
discrimination, secure equal rights, and protect the health and
safety of all Americans. With a national staff, and volunteers
and members throughout the country, HRCF lobbies the federal
government on lesbian, gay, and AIDS issues; educates the general
public; participates in election campaigns; organizes volunteers;
and provides expertise and training at the state and local level.

                             - 30 -

     1101 14th Street, NW  Suite 200  Washington, DC  20005      
          phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323