Subject: RYAN WHITE - NORA RELEASE ON AMENDMENTS
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 09:29:36 -0400

*****************************************************************

                NATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS RESPONDING TO AIDS

*****************************************************************

                     NORA SUPPORTS RYAN WHITE
                                 
The national public health, religious, healthcare, childrens',
and community service organizations listed on the reverse side of
this page urge you to vote as indicated below on the following
amendments to S.64 1, The Ryan White CARE Act Reauthorization of
1995. The CARE Act provides essential, life sustaining medical
and support services to more than 350,000 women, men and children
living with HIV and AIDS in communities across America.

AMENDMENT   SPONSOR   SUBJECT                          VOTE

1854        Helms     PROHIBITION ON LOCAL CONTROL     NO
Restricts funds from being used for programs that provide life
saving, mental health, counseling, and support services and
accurate medical information.

1855        Helms      FUNDING CAP                     NO
Freezes Ryan White spending at FY '95 levels for five years
despite rapidly growing case loads, cuts spending below level
already approved by House Appropriations Committee and Senate
Budget Committee.
         
1857        Helms     FUNDING LEVEL RESTRICTIONS        NO
Fails to acknowledge the epidemic nature of AIDS and the amount
of federal spending on other diseases through entitlement 
programs.
         
1856        Helms     FEDERAL WORKPLACE TRAINING        NO
Undermines comprehensive AIDS training for all federal employees.
         
1860        Kassebaum  Funding Equity                  YES
Ensures that Congress considers all federal funds in ensuring
equity in spending for cancer and AIDS
         
1858         Kassebaum  RESTRICTIONS ON FUNDING          YES
Prohibits programs that promote all sexual activity or
intravenous drug use but protects the delivery of essential
medical and support services.

MARY FISHER

     Action on the Ryan White CARE Act could prove that when
America speaks of values, it includes predominantly the value of
compassion; that when we take up questions of ethics, we are
eager to demonstrate justice; and that when Congress takes up
protection of the sick and dying, it does so knowing that all
Americans are worthy of dignity. If 'Ryan White ' could be passed
quickly, without devastating delays and dilution through hostile
amendments, it would be a tremendous signal that compassion and
justice and dignity are not partisan issues.
         
JEANNE WHITE

         If Ryan were here, he would wonder why something that
most people support can't just happen. Isn't that what good 
government is about? I think so. One thing's for sure, if the
bill does not pass, or if it loses any of its funding already
stretched too thin, a lot of people will die. In communities
across this America, thousands of mothers embrace their children
with AIDS, hoping that God will give them another year, another
month, another day. Whether their children are 2, or 18, or 40,
no parent can bear to lose a child For those mothers and for this
mother -- looking for the faith to face the future -- I hope the
Senate will hear our plea and act now to save the Ryan White CARE
Act without damaging amendments.