Subject: HRC's Presidential Hopefuls Press Release
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 16:13:20 -0500

________________________________________________________

NEWS from the
Human Rights Campaign

1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.hrcusa.org
________________________________________________________
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, November 20, 1995

       NEW REPORT PROVIDES FIRST GLIMPSE AT WHERE 1996 PRESIDENTIAL HOPEFULS
STAND ON ISSUES OF FAIRNESS FOR                           LESBIAN AND GAY
AMERICANS

              GO TO HRC'S WEBSITE FOR THE COMPLETE REPORT.
                                   http://www.hrcusa.org

           BUCHANAN, DORNAN, AND GRAMM DESIGNATED AS
                                          "EXTREMISTS"

Washington -- The Human Rights Campaign, the largest national
lesbian and gay political organization, released a new report
today that offers a first glimpse of where the 1996 presidential
hopefuls stand on issues of fairness for lesbian and gay
Americans. The group examined public comments, positions, and,
when applicable, the voting records of Lamar Alexander, Patrick
Buchanan, Bill Clinton, Bob Dole, Robert Dornan, Steve Forbes,
Phil Gramm, Richard Lugar, Arlen Specter, and potential candidate
Ross Perot.

The analysis officially designates three of the candidates --
Buchanan, Dornan, and Gramm -- as "extremists" who have gone out
of their way to attack lesbian and gay Americans.

"As we enter this crucial election year, it is important for
voters to begin thinking about where the candidates stand on
issues of fairness for lesbian and gay Americans.  The American
people need to know who has worked to ensure that gay people are
treated fairly, and who has made it their mission to single us
out for special discrimination," said Human Rights Campaign
Executive Director Elizabeth Birch, announcing the release of the
report at a press briefing in Washington.

Birch noted that the majority of voters support basic equal
rights for lesbians and gay men, citing a poll showing that 74
percent of Americans favor preventing job discrimination against
gay people.  "While the extreme words and actions of some of
these candidates may help them pander to the extreme right, the
politics of division will not inspire mainstream American
voters."

The organization did not make an endorsement of any candidate at
this time, choosing instead to familiarize voters with the
candidates' records on issues such as ending anti-gay job
discrimination, ensuring a strong national response to AIDS, and
combatting anti-gay hate legislation. Candidates' public
statements, campaign literature, and, for those who hold elective
office, voting records, were used to compile the report.

The Human Rights Campaign, the largest national lesbian and gay
political organization, with members throughout the country,
effectively lobbies Congress, provides campaign support, and
educates the public to ensure that lesbian and gay Americans can
be open, honest, and safe at home, at work, and in the community.

                                                   - 30 -