Subject: NATIONAL COMING OUT DAY 1995 EVENTS NATIONWIDE
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 12:20:14 -0400

*****************************************************************
PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

 The Nation's Largest Lesbian and Gay Equal Rights Organization
*****************************************************************
To contact the HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND, please call us at     
(202)628-4160, fax us at (202) 347-5323 or write to us at PO Box 
1396  Washington, DC  20013.  
*****************************************************************

                   NATIONAL COMING OUT DAY
                    1995 EVENTS CALENDAR

The  National Coming Out Project is the Human Rights Campaign
Fund's ongoing campaign to encourage and empower every gay and
lesbian person to make a difference in educating America by
letting others know who they are.   Every October 11, National
Coming Out Day serves as the day to commemorate the importance of
this single act of courage.

The following calendar lists National Coming Out Day events all
over the country on and around October 11.  Having knowledge of
local events encourages people to come out and support events. To
encourage maximum visibility we would like this list to be as
complete as possible.  We need your help in compiling a complete
listing of events.  If you are sponsoring, or know of an event in
your area please e-mail us at:

[email-masked].  

You can also call us at: 800-866-NCOD. 

Please present the info in the following format: State -City-
Organization, event specifics, contact: name & phone number.1995
Calendar of NCOD 

Events as of 9/13/95

NATIONAL:

Boston- Alyson Publishing will release Coming Out In The
Workplace, by Richard Rasi and Lourdes Rodriguez-Nogoes. Contact:
Christine Sanni(617) 542-5670 

Capitol Hill - There will be a press conference at the US Capitol
with NCOP spokespeople Candace Gingrich and Dan Butler, in
addition to HRCF Executive Director Elizabeth Birch and NCOP
Director Wes Combs,  This marks the end of Candace's 51 city
tour.  Other dignitaries and celebrities to attend. Contact: 
Frank Butler at (800)866-NCOD. 

Dignity/USA, a Catholic organization supportive of G/L/B/Tissues,
will sponsor a nationwide event on 10/8 called Solidarity Sunday.
Participants will be asked to wear a rainbow ribbon on their
lapel.  Contact: (202) 861-0047 or (800) 877-8797

Los Angeles - On October 11, Elizabeth Birch, Dan Butler, Wes
Combs, Candace Gingrich, and other public figures will speak.
Shrater Boulevard will be closed off for festivities.  The Second
Annual Dick Sargent National Coming Out Day Award will be
presented. Contact Jim Key (213) 993-7603.

New York City - Comedy Central will air "Out There in Hollywood"
starring Scott Thompson and other openly G/L comedians in the
third annual show of its kind. Contact: Monique Hart (212)
767-8546.

New York City - Liz Winfeld & Susan Spelman's book, Straight Talk
About Gays in the Workplace, will be released. This book makes
the case for inclusion of G/L employees in diversity initiatives
and domestic partnership benefits.  Contact: (800)866-NCOD.

New York City - Actor Dan Butler's PSA which declares,"I'm not a
straight man, but I play one on TV."   This will appear on FX,
Comedy Central, and many others stations in the top 25 media
markets. Contact: (800) 866-NCOD.

New York City - BMG Classics will run a TV Campaign beginning at
the end of September through National Coming Out Day on VH-1. 
This will include coming out stories and info on NCOD. Contact:
Cargos Alice (212) 930-4726

New York City - Release of the Book, Untold Millions:
Positioning Your Business for the G/L Consumer Revolutions by
Grant Lakenbill.  Contact: Suzanne Oaks (212) 207-6909 or Bran
Farrington (212) 207-7000.

Sacramento - Paulette Jacobsen will be host several signings of
her book, Letters From the Closet with proceeds to benefit the
National Coming Out Project. Contact: Shades of Diversity (916)
684-0974

LOCAL:

Alaska-- 

Anchorage - The Alaska Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Community
will host the 1995 Alaska Pride Conference at the University of
Alaska - Anchorage.Events include a weekend of learning, fun,
food, workshops, and socializing.Keynote address by JoAnn Loulan.
Contact: (907) 566-2048

Arizona--

Phoenix -The Lesbian/Gay Public Awareness Project will sponsor
many events including a radio show, a press conference on coming
out in the work place and a workshop on the coming out process.
The MCC will host a commitment ceremony and later in the evening
there will be public party/fundraiser. Contact: David Horowitz or
Merf Fratkin (602)351-3080.

Tucson - The Tucson Lesbian/Gay Alliance will sponsor
OUToberFEST'95: "From Silence to Celebration".  This annual pride
picnic features educational and commercial vendors,
entertainment, food and free refreshments.  Contact:TGLA OUTline
(520) 622-3200. 

California--

Apple Valley - The High Desert G/L Center is sponsoring a week of
awareness at Apple Valley Community College. There will also be
an open house at the center. Contact: Wade Flores (619) 247-1369.

Burbank - LEAGUE, the lesbian and gay employee support group at
the Walt Disney Company, will host Candace Gingrich at the Walt
Disney Studio.  Contact: Garrett Hicks (818) 560-9121.

Irvine - L/G/B Resource Center at University of California -
Irvine is sponsoring a week of activities, speeches and events
including Alix Dobkin, "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert",Pat Mayo,
70 year old out Lesbian, a list of out faculty, staff, students,
alumni, and allies.  Contact Pat Walsh: (714) 824-3169.

Long Beach -  Long Beach City College is coordinating a
series of events with a coalition of other colleges. Contact:
Marcelino Sepulveda (310) 436-9882 

Long Beach -  California State - Long Beach will host Blue Jeans
Day, a multi-cultural speakers panel including a Jewish gay
group, an organizational fair including AIDS info and ACLU
booths, L.A. City Councilperson Jackie Goldberg, a social
gathering and movies in the evening. Contact: Carol Haas (310)
985-4585

Los Angeles - There will be a rally centered around "Family
Values from the GLB Community" The groups represented will
include P-FLAG, the International Archives, USC, The Center, and
the Mayor's Office.   Contact: Voltaire Tinana (310) 206-3938

Los Angeles - At UCLA, events include a reading of women's
literature in the resource library, a panel of parents of gay
students,  a panel of out people in the workplace in addition to
a hands-on workshop - "Outness in Applying for a Job".  Also
planned is a discussion on same-sex marriage from religious,
academic, and legal viewpoints, a noontime rally with several
hundred students, and a panel/workshop on Transgender/sexual
issues. Contact: Charles Outcalt (310)206-3938. 

Pasadena - The  Catalyst,  Lesbian and Gay Community Organization
of Pasadena, will host Pasadena's third annual NCOD celebration
with a full week of events throughout San Gabriel Valley.
Festivities include a week long art show at the Armory Center for
the Arts, a festival and a comedy show at the Ice House. Contact:
Mitch Braiman (818)545-4661.

Sacramento - A streetfest, rally and dance are  planned this year
in anticipation of NCOD '96, a Statewide California event that
will focus on elections next year. Contact: Fred Palmer Magazine
(916) 329-9800 

San Diego - PROGRESS Conference, co-hosted by HRCF, is a meeting
of gay, lesbian, and bisexual employee groups. They will meet to
discuss issues facing gays in the workplace. Elizabeth Birch,
HRCF Executive Director, is keynote.  Contact: Garrett Hicks
(818) 560-8121.

San Francisco - The First Annual S National Coming Out Day
Celebration will be held on Friday, 10/13.  The event will
include a benefit dance party and a Federal Club reception with
Dan Butler.  Page Hodel will be the DJ and OUTwear dance models
will perform among others.  Contact: Chris Ruetz (415) 947-4015. 

Colorado-

Denver - At the University of Denver a town hall and Federal
Club event are planned in Denver Oct. 9th with Candace Gingrich.
Other events all week in Denver.  Contact: Patrick Wellage (303)
871-8483

Denver -  Denver PFLAG will sponsor personal coming out stories,
three to four religious programs throughout the month and a
dinner. Contact: Tim Wilson (303) 777-3602.

Boulder- The University of Colorado will host Candace Gingrich
on Oct. 9th.  Other awareness events planned. Contact: Patrick
Wellage (303) 871-8483

Connecticut--

Cromwell -
Metroline, the G/L/B/T magazine for Connecticut, western
Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and metropolitan New York, is
sponsoring a National Coming Out Day Ball. There will be
entertainment, dancing, a silent auction,  and info tables. HRCF
senior policy advocate Nancy Buermeyer will speak at the event.
Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door.  Proceeds to
benefit local G/L groups as well as HRCF.  Contact: (203)
278-6666

Stores - The University of Connecticut at Store's BiGALA
Association will host a week of activities including information
tables, and NCOD merchandise for sale. There will also be jeans
day, a lecture with local activist Eddie Gallo, a book table and
film festival put on by the Women's Center, coffeehouses, and
multi-cultural activities throughout October. Contact: Ed
Eggleton (203)486-3679.

District Of Columbia--

American University - B-Glad will recognize October as
Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual History Month and will be holding events
around NCOD.  Contact: Allan Hersker (202) 885-3347 

DC Gay and Lesbian Film Festival sponsored by One in Ten.Contact:
Barry Becker: (202) 986-1119

Florida--

Pensacola - The University of West Florida will be viewing
films,holding a roundtable discussion about religion, social
events and coverage in the school newspaper. Contact:  Cargos
Dewes (904) 474-2923. or in Pensacola Andy Anderson with the
local newspaper at(904) 492-2693.

Georgia--

Athens - The University of Georgia will host a multitude
of activities including a march on campus, a bake sale, an info
table, closet door to walk through and a party at Boneshaker's.
Contact: Alan Dowell (706) 546-7281.

Atlanta - Outright Bookstore and Emory University will sponsor
Urvashi Vaid signing her new book, Virtual Equality,  at Emory
University in Cox HallRoom #4.  Contact: Philip Rafshoon (404)
607-0082 or Emory G/L/B Life (404)727-2136.

Atlanta - The Eighth Annual Atlanta Gay and Lesbian Film
Festival, "Out On Film"  at Phipps Plaza and Plaza Theater 
from October 11-15. Over 3,000 are expected to attend.  Opening
night reception Oct. 11th. Contact: (404) 733-6112.

Hawaii--

Honolulu - The University of Honolulu Task Force on Sexual
Orientation will sponsor a panel on same sex marriage, tables and
displays by community groups, entertainment, and Mable Maney,
lesbian author, will speak.  Contact: Renee Arakaki (808)
956-9250.

Illinois--

Bloomington - During the week of NCOD the play "Well of
Horniness" will be shown. Gay student pride events  at the
University of Illinois. On 10/11 there will be a downtown open
market with G/L/B businesses. Contact: Once Upon A Time Bookstore

Indiana--

Bloomington - The University of Indiana will host a series of
events planned around NCOD.  Contact Ben Bryan at OUT (812)
855-5688.  The campus G/L/B Center will celebrate it's one year
anniversary on 10/11.  Contact: (812)855-4252.

LaFayette - Perdue University will host a series of events for
NCOD.  Contact: Rich Morris (317) 429-5240

Muncie - Ball State University is planning a week of events
around NCOD and the theme "Love Makes a Family". Contact: Kerry
Poytner (317)28L-BGSA.

Massachusetts--

Cambridge - The Cambridge Rindge and Latin School, the first high
school on the east coast to recognize the needs of G/L/B/T
students, is having speakers and activities, discussion in
homeroom, and everyone will be encouraged to wear pink triangles
in support of NCOD. Contact: Al Fierreira (508) 342-4264

Michigan- 

Ann Arbor - The University of Michigan will host a  week of
activities including Ani DiFranco, Lynn Lavner, a NCOD Variety
Show, a rally on NCOD,lectures on: growing up in the South and
sexual orientation. A faculty association meeting, community
celebration, a social at Club Fabulous and a dance are also
planned.  Contact: Ken Blowchowski (313) 764-1812

Detroit -
Wayne State University will have it's second annual luncheon with
faculty, staff, students, and alumni featuring the topic "We Are
Not Your Enemy" with a speaker from P-FLAG.  In the evening there
will be a Speak-Out, an open forum for people to express their
view points. Contact: Lynne Rensburg (313) 577-3938.

East Lansing -
Michigan State University Alliance of LGBT Students will host a
campus wide panel of students, parents, and gay leaders and an
evening dance.  Contact: Maggie Rody (517) 353-9795.

Ypsilanti -
East Michigan University will host a week of events including a
minister talking about homophobia and religion and panels on the
process of coming out.  Contact: Kim Hart (810)487-4149.

Minnesota--

Minneapolis- Univ of Minnesota will be hosting a week of events
including Pyschotherapist/Comedian Donna Dimenna,  and a play
with Kim Hines.  A door will be set up on campus for people to
come out, film-maker and activist Dee Mosbacher will speak. There
will be a Quarum/luncheon with the G/L Chamber of Conference, an
interfaith service, an employee network luncheon focused oncoming
out in the workplace, a Queer cabaret at UM St. Paul.  A showing
of "Strawberry and Chocolate", a homecoming parade, an alumni
G/L/B/T brunch, an AIDS fundraiser with Magic Johnson, a Lambda,
Delta, Phi fraternity party and an NGLTF & HRCF organizing
meeting are also planned. Contact:  Beth Zimski (612) 626- 9765.

Missouri--

Kansas City - The Human Rights Project and the Lesbian and Gay
Community Center will host a visibility event, "Coming Out into
Shopping", in the Westport area. There will also be an
Inter-generational Dance and Speak Out at Trinity Unitarian
Methodist Church.  Contact: Lois Reborne (816) 435-4814.

Rolla - University of Missouri will have a speaker and a dance.
Contact: Toni Scott (314) 341-6456.

Nebraska-- 

Omaha - 
Citizens for Equal Protection will host a NCOD event at the Civic
Auditorium with Candace Gingrich,  A silent auction will be held
with items from Melissa Etheridge and local artists. Contact:
Patrick Bruny (402)894-4292 or Lori Graesser at (402) 346-1132

Nevada--

Las Vegas - Las Vegas will host Candace Gingrich, HRCF National
Coming Out Project Spokesperson  at a town meeting on October 12.

Contact: Lee Plotkin at (702)379-2277

Las Vegas -
The University of Nevada at Las Vegas will sponsor a Splashdown
'95 at The Wild World Theme Park for Pride/NCOD. This will kick
off a week of activities through the 6th. NOW will host a
visibility march with workshops on community, safer sex, and
other issues. Contact: Joel at (702) 871-0233.

New Hampshire--Hanover -
Dartmouth Rainbow Alliance of Dartmouth College will host a
speaker, a panel discussion, and a dance.  Contact: Bart
Bingenheimer (603)646-3635 or 3636.

New Jersey--

Holmdel - New Jersey Pride will be hosting the second annual
Lesbian, Gay, and Bi Cultural  Heritage Fest at the Garden State
Arts Center.  There will be a marketplace, community stage, art
exhibit, a display of panels from the Names Project Quilt,
History/Herstory exhibit and several workshops.  Contact:
Susan Meneham (908) 531-6259.

Princeton - Princeton University GLBA will sponsor  Gay jeans
day, rally, and dance. Contact: Jennifer Handler (609)258-1353
Wayne - William Patterson College's Coalition of Lesbians and
Gays will have a literature table set-up with NCOD merchandise
available. Contact:Regina Kozak (201) 595-2518.

New Mexico--

Santa Fe -  AM 1260, KVSF, will feature coming out in their
weekly talk radio show, "Out Loud and Proud".  There will also be
an ad in the local paper for all those wishing to be out.
Contact: Lynn Shepodd (905) 989-6672.

New York--

Jackson Heights - Queens G/L United will have a coming out
panel for youth and senior citizens entitled "Taking Your Next
Step".  This will be a support group atmosphere with a follow-up
in six months. Contact: John (718)205-6605

Long Island - Pride Coalition of Long Island is sponsoring "Pride
Across Long Island". Contact: (516) 378-8280

New York City - NETGala, an association of G/L/B/T alumni
will host their national conference at the L/G Community Center -
"The Center" on 10/14 at 9:30 a.m. HRCF senior policy advocate
Winnie Stachleberg will be speaking. Contact David White (202)
624-6911

New York City - New York University. Winnie Stachleberg,
HRCF's Senior Policy Advocate, will be speaking to the NYU Law
School students.Contact: Frank Butler (800) 866-NCOD.

Oswego - SUNY Oswego's BiGALA will host a week of events
including movies, a speaker from the Empire Pride Agenda, an
awareness booth, commedianne Emmy Gay, "Jeffrey" produced by the
theater department, Dr. Jim Sears speaking on racism, sexism and
homophobia, and a formal. Contact: Michael Richert (315)341-2955.

North Carolina--

Chapel Hill - University of North Carolina Chapel Hill B-GLAD
will host an Outreach with people speaking in dorms, classes and
in front of the Student Union.  Contact:  Dale Kawamura (919)
962-4401

Charlotte - OUT Charlotte '95, a cultural festival celebrating
the L/G/B/T Community, will be held from October 11-15.
Throughout the week there will be art shows, dinners, speakers
(including Margerethe Cammermeyer), a film festival, concerts,
workshops, dances, sports and much more. Contact: Dan Kirsch
(704) 563-2699.

Oregon-- 

Portland - Rally at Pioneer Place with local community leaders,
and entertainment. Contact: Susan Allen (503) 241-7921

Pennsylvania--

Philadelphia - Diversity of Pride will host a block party called
OUTFEST '95 on October 9th, anticipating six to seven thousand
people. It will be held on Camac St. between Walnut and Spruce
and will feature booths of restaurants,stores, and organizations.

Contact: Chuck Volz (800) WE R, R You?(937-7968). 

University Park - Penn State LGBSA will hold a week of activities
to commemorate NCOD, including education seminars. October will
be celebrated as G/L/B/T history month with speakers,
entertainers, and a film festival.  Contact:Dennis Biancuzzo
(814) 949-5852

Rhode Island--

Providence - Johnson Wells University will host University Pride
Week.  Events include a homophobia workshop, a dance, and a
booth.   

South Carolina--

Greenville - A downtown celebration with music, food tables
involving the MCC Church, NOW and other organizations.  Contact:
David Mariner(803) 242-6713

Texas--

Dallas - On Sunday, October 8th, at the State Fair of Texas 1500
gays, lesbians and friends are expected to participate at a 
"Family Outing" from 10am-8pm. Candace Gingrich and other
entertainers and dignitaries will be featured.Contact: Susan Gore
or Jim McBride (214) 522 -5533 

Dallas - An NCOD ad in The Dallas Morning News will appear for
the second year in a row. The ad will list those in the Dallas
community who are speaking out against discrimination against
gays and lesbians and for basic fairness.  Contact: Susan Gore or
Jim McBride (214) 522 -5533

Houston - The University of Houston GLOBAL will host a week of
events including a panel of Houston independent school district
counselors speaking on gays students in public schools. A forum
on youth political action with Dianne Hardy-Garcia, workshops,
the second annual Triangle Ball and other events are planned. 
Contact: Richard Parent (713) 743-7690

Vermont --

Burlington - The University of Vermont will sponsor events.
Contact: Emina McCormick (802) 656-0607.

Washington--

Tacoma - The Tacoma Community Center will host a week of events
including a Family Festival lunch in the park with music and
families, bowling and roller skating, and a dinner at the
University of Puget Sound with activist/speaker/author Ann
Northrop.  Contact: Allisson Hoffman (206) 383-2565.

West Virginia--

Charleston - The Charleston Chapter of the West Virginia
Coalition for Lesbian and Gay Rights will have social fundraisers
to place billboards throughout the city proclaiming "Gay and
Straight West Virginians United" for NCOD.  Contact: Barbara
Steinke (304) 344-0288

Wisconsin--

Madison - The University of Wisconsin will host Candace Gingrich
October 3.  Coordinated by 10 Percent Society, GLUMA, LGBI Campus
Center.  Contact: Univ of Wisconsin LGBI (608) 262-7365 or David
Wilcos at (608) 256-5017.

Milwaukee - The Human Rights League will host a plethora of
events including a reception of lesbian black women at the
International Policewomen's conference, several  forums, a
reception for public officials, a community dance and Candace
Gingrich will be speaking on October 4th.  Contact: Gary
Hollander (414) 352-7382.

For more information e-mail us at:  [email-masked] or call:
800-866-NCOD 

                            - 30 -

     1101 14th Street, NW  Suite 200  Washington, DC  20005      
          phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323