Subject: HRCF MOURNS THE LOSS OF ROB EICHBERG
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 16:06:16 -0400

*****************************************************************
PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

The Nation's Largest Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Political Group   
*****************************************************************
To contact the HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND, please call us at     
(202)628-4160, fax us at (202) 347-5323 or write to us at PO Box 
1396  Washington, DC  20013.  
*****************************************************************

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Monday, August 14, 1995

            HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND MOURNS LOSS OF PIONEER
                      FOR LESBIAN AND GAY EQUALITY
                                    
      -- HRCF's National Coming Out Project Founder, Rob
           Eichberg, Remembered as "An Inspiration" --
                                    
     Washington -- The Human Rights Campaign Fund (HRCF) is
mourning the death of Dr. Robert H. Eichberg, co-founder of
HRCF's National Coming Out Project.  The 50-year-old psychologist
succumbed Friday to complications from AIDS in his New Mexico
home.

"Rob Eichberg spent his life helping others understand the
significance gay and lesbian visibility has on turning ignorance
into acceptance," said HRCF Executive Director Elizabeth Birch. 
"Through his work with National Coming Out Day and The
Experience, Rob has allowed thousands to take the next important
step in their coming out process," said Birch.  "Rob always
understood that if gays and lesbians were open and honest, more
people would be supportive of equal rights for gay people. His
vision serves as an inspiration to others that coming out makes a
difference."

Eichberg launched a coming out workshop called The Experience in
1978.  In 1988 he co-founded National Coming Out Day, an
organization dedicated to encouraging lesbian and gay people to
fight discrimination by being open and honest about their sexual
orientation.  Each October 11, lesbian, gay and bisexual
Americans and their families observe National Coming Out Day, a
holiday dedicated to taking their next step in coming out for
equal rights.  The National Coming Out Day organization became an
HRCF program in 1993. Earlier this year, its name changed to
HRCF's National Coming Out Project, reflecting the program's
year-round focus on supporting organizations that help people
come out.

HRCF's National Coming Out Project is an education and outreach
program of the Human Rights Campaign Fund.  HRCF, the largest
national lesbian and gay political organization, works to end
discrimination, secure equal rights, and protect the health and
safety of all Americans.  With a national staff, and volunteers
and members throughout the country, HRCF lobbies the federal
government on lesbian, gay, and AIDS issues; educates the general
public; participates in election campaigns; organizes volunteers;
and provides expertise and training at the state and local level.

                                - 30 -

         1101 14th Street, NW  Suite 200  Washington, DC  20005
             phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323