Subject: LIGHTFOOT TALKING POINTS
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 10:19:45 -0400

*****************************************************************
TALKING POINTS         TALKING POINTS           TALKING POINTS

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

The Nation's Largest Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Political Group   
*****************************************************************
To contact the HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND, please call us at     
(202)628-4160, fax us at (202) 347-5323 or write to us at PO Box 
1396  Washington, DC  20013. 
*****************************************************************

                    Federal HIV/AIDS Education Keeps 
                     Workers Healthy and Productive

"... President Reagan understood that you can't separate AIDS
issues from organizational performance and bottomline results,
when he encouraged American businesses to examine and consider
adopting education and personnel management policies addressing
AIDS.  Business leaders embraced this recommendation, not just
because it was the right thing to do, but because it makes
business sense."
                                                             
                           Representative Connie Morella (R-MD)
Opening Statement at hearing on Administration AIDS Training
Program Civil Service Subcommittee of Committee on Government
Reform and Oversight
                           June 22, 1995

* AIDS is now the leading killer of all Americans age 25 - 44 --
the core of the American workforce.  Until there is a cure,
education is our best defense against this deadly disease. 

* HIV/AIDS prevention programs save lives.  Supported by the
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and conducted by
non-profit organizations like the American Red Cross, AIDS
education programs are proven effective in keeping Americans safe
and healthy. For this reason, 81 percent of voters -- and 72
percent of Republican voters -- support maintaining or increasing
federal funds for AIDS education and prevention.(A bipartisan
poll conducted by the Tarrance Group and Lake Research surveying
800 registered voters Feb 25-26, 1995.  The margin of error for
the sample is +/- 3.5%.)  

* A growing number of successful businesses provide HIV/AIDS
education to their workforce - companies like Aetna Life &
Casualty, Chubb & Son, Inc, Eastman Kodak Co., IBM Corp.,
and RJR Nabisco, to name just a few.  Giving people sound and
complete information helps to allay people's fears, both in terms
of their own risk and concerns about working with HIV+
co-workers.  

* Providing comprehensive and accurate information on HIV/AIDS
transmission -- both on and off the job -- is critical to the
goal of keeping workers healthy.  Accurate information is
necessary to provide a clear understanding of the disease and how
it is -- and is not -- transmitted.

*  The Federal Workplace HIV/AIDS Education Initiative has been a
very successful and important effort.  The vast majority of
Federal employees have found these classes helpful to
them and their families.  The isolated problems that have been
reported can best be solved by requiring proper experience and
training for the instructors.

                                                          7/14/95

     1101 14th Street, NW  Suite 200  Washington, DC  20005      
          phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323