Subject: HRCF LAUNCHES MASSIVE MEMBERSHIP DRIVE
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 15:50:37 -0400

*****************************************************************
PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

The Nation's Largest Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Political Group   
*****************************************************************
To contact the HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND, please call us at     
(202)628-4160, fax us at (202) 347-5323 or write to us at PO Box 
1396  Washington, DC  20013.  WE CANNOT RESPOND TO E-MAIL.  
*****************************************************************
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
TUESDAY, MAY 23, 1995

                  HRCF LAUNCHES MASSIVE MEMBERSHIP DRIVE

     Nation's Largest Gay Political Organization Still Dwarfed by
                            Radical Right Groups

     WASHINGTON -- The nation's largest lesbian and gay political
organization has launched a massive membership drive to counter
the growth of extreme anti-gay groups that threaten the rights,
health and safety of lesbian and gay Americans.   The Human
Rights Campaign Fund (HRCF) -- which has gained 20,000 new
members since the November elections  -- is still dwarfed by the
largest anti-gay group, Pat Robertson's Christian Coalition. 
HRCF currently has 100,000 members, while Robertson's group
claims more than 1.5 million.

     HRCF will be signing up members at Pride events in more than
100 cities from June through October.  More than 500 HRCF
volunteers will fan out across 47 states, armed with clipboards
and wearing HRCF t-shirts, to sign up new members in the fight
for equal rights.  Candace Gingrich, sister of House Speaker Newt
Gingrich, has also joined the effort with a tour of 48 cities
promoting the National Coming Out Project.  Candace is urging
people to come out and get involved in the movement for equal
rights.

     "Our membership is increasing because people care about
what's happening in Congress, and they want to get involved. 
Even so, the largest right-wing group has ten times as many
members as the largest organization fighting for gay and lesbian
equality," said Canvass Manager Brian Albert, who is coordinating
HRCF's national membership drive.  "To secure our rights, we need
to increase our numbers.  The more people who come out for equal
rights and join HRCF, the better we'll be able to fight the
battles ahead."

     An HRCF membership costs $20.  Members receive the
following:

     opportunities to get involved in HRCF's "Speak Out" program,

     which sends messages in their name to their elected         

     representatives;  

     "Action Alerts" on pressing issues before Congress;

     free subscriptions to a glossy new political magazine, HRCF 

     Quarterly;

     and invitations to special events in Washington and across  

     the country. 

     "Our movement faces enormous challenges in the new political
climate," said Executive Director Elizabeth Birch.  "Radical
right groups have undue influence in the political process, and
their numbers are growing.  We need to tap into the enormous
potential of millions of gay and lesbian people across the
country -- and their millions of friends and family members. 
Everyone has something to offer the movement for equal rights."

     The Human Rights Campaign Fund (HRCF), the nation's largest
lesbian and gay political organization, works to end
discrimination, secure equal rights, and protect the health and
safety of all Americans.  With a national staff, and volunteers
and members throughout the country, HRCF lobbies the federal
government on lesbian, gay, and HIV/AIDS issues; educates the
general public; participates in election campaigns; organizes
volunteers; and provides expertise and training at the state and
local level.  

                               -30-

     1101 14th Street, NW  Suite 200  Washington, DC  20005      
          phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323