Subject: URGENT ACTION: HOUSE VOTE TODAY ON AIDS EDUCATION
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 10:16:08 -0400

*****************************************************************
URGENT                   ACTION ALERT                  URGENT

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

The Nation's Largest Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Political Group   
*****************************************************************
To contact the HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND, please call us at     
(202)628-4160, fax us at (202) 347-5323 or write to us at PO Box 
1396  Washington, DC  20013. 
*****************************************************************

HOUSE VOTE TODAY COULD LIMIT AIDS EDUCATION FOR FEDERAL EMPLOYEES

                    URGE YOUR MEMBERS OF CONGRESS TO 
                                    
                          Vote YES on Lightfoot
                                             
                          NO on Packard/Dornan

The Treasury/Postal Appropriations bill (H.R. 2020) is scheduled
to be on the House floor Tuesday, July 18.  Two amendments
dealing with HIV/AIDS will be offered.  

     We strongly urge you to support the Lightfoot amendment
     and oppose the Packard/Dornan amendment.
     
     The Federal Workplace HIV/AIDS Education Initiative has been
a highly successful and important effort.  The Lightfoot
substitute would address the few concerns raised while
maintaining the integrity of the program.

Specifically, the Lightfoot amendment would require that any
federal training:

     -- be related to employee productivity and effectiveness, 

     -- be appropriate for the workplace,

     -- provide advance notification of the content and methods  

        to be used in the training and,

     -- grant employees an opt-out if they raise religious or    

        moral objections to the training.

By contrast, the Packard/Dornan amendment would gut these
educational efforts by restricting the scope of the trainings so
as to render them ineffective.

HIV/AIDS education saves lives.  Support the Lightfoot Amendment
to H.R. 2020.

For more information, call:   AIDS Action Council 986-1300 ext.
3021 or Human Rights Campaign Fund 628-4160

     1101 14th Street, NW  Suite 200  Washington, DC  20005      
          phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323