Subject: HELMS INTRODUCES HATE LEGISLATIO
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 17:38:33 -0500

*****************************************************************
PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

The Nation's Largest Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Political Group   
*****************************************************************
To contact the HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND, please call us at     
(202)628-4160, fax us at (202) 347-5323 or write to us at PO Box 
1396  Washington, DC  20013.  WE CANNOT RESPOND TO E-MAIL.  
*****************************************************************

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE    
WEDNESDAY, JAN. 11, 1995

          EXTREMISTS MAY PRESSURE GOP TO PUSH A DIVISIVE AGENDA:
          HELMS INTRODUCES HATE LEGISLATION TARGETING GAY WORKERS

          Bills Filed During Congress' First Week Would Promote
        Hate Speech and Discrimination Against Federal Employees 

     WASHINGTON -- In the first indication that anti-gay
extremists in the new Republican-controlled Congress may target
lesbian and gay Americans in discriminatory legislation, Sen.
Jesse Helms (R- N.C.) has introduced two bills that would promote
hate speech and discrimination against federal workers.  The
Helms bills mark the first two pieces of anti-gay legislation
introduced in the 104th Congress, according to an analysis by the
Human Rights Campaign Fund (HRCF).

     "In a move that contradicts the Republican promise to keep
focused on the business of the nation, Jesse Helms has begun to
execute his own private contract on gay Americans in the first
few days of the 104th Congress," said HRCF Executive Director
Elizabeth Birch.  "This is the first indication that Jesse Helms
intends to use his newly acquired power in Congress to pursue his
anti-gay obsession, a clear breach of the Republican promise to
address issues that are important to Americans. Voters who
changed the face of Congress have overwhelmingly rejected
discriminatory measures of the ilk that Helms is proposing."

     The first bill, numbered S.23, would give a special
exemption from workplace non-discrimination policies to
government employees who voice prejudices against lesbian and gay
coworkers.  S.25 would target lesbian and gay employees for
discrimination by denying their employee organizations the same
rights to free association and free speech guaranteed to other
employee groups.  Twenty-two employee groups for lesbian and gay
federal workers have formed, similar to groups representing
African-Americans, Latinos and women in the federal work force.

     "This legislation would promote hate speech and
discrimination against federal workers," said HRCF Public Policy
Director Daniel Zingale.  "Americans overwhelmingly believe that
no one should be singled out for discrimination in the workplace.
Helms' hate legislation flies in the face of this fundamental
American value."

     Following a growing trend in the private sector, at least 17
major federal agencies have included lesbian and gay people along
with other workers in their non-discrimination policies.  No
federal law protects people from being fired or otherwise
discriminated against in the workplace on the basis of sexual
orientation.  

     "The federal government is only now catching up to corporate
America, where half of the Fortune 1000 companies have non-
discrimination policies protecting their gay and lesbian
employees," said Birch, who recently left a high-level management
position at Apple Computers to lead the largest national lesbian
and gay equal rights organization.  "A growing number of
successful corporations also have gay employee groups and
diversity training.  If successful companies like Apple and Xerox
provide equal protection to their employees, the federal
government would do well to follow their example."

     HRCF polled Members of Congress last year on their own
employment practices, and found broad bipartisan support for the
principle that gay and lesbian people should not be singled out
for discrimination in the workplace.  82 Republicans and 231
Democrats -- including majorities of both parties in the Senate
-- confirmed that they do not discriminate in their offices on
the basis of sexual orientation.

     In addition, a post-election poll of voters in the November
election found that majorities of Republicans, Democrats and
Independents support equal rights in the workplace for lesbian
and gay people.  In a random survey of 800 voters conducted Nov.
8 and 9 by the independent polling firm of Mellman Lazarus Lake,
Inc., 70 percent said gay people should not face unfair job
discrimination -- with 64 percent of Republicans, 71 percent of
Independents and 77 percent of Democrats supporting the idea.

     Anticipating the Helms bills and supporting its lobbying
activities on Capitol Hill, HRCF has activated its 5,000-member
Federal Advocacy Network (FAN) to generate calls and letters to
Congress from local advocates in all 50 states.  HRCF's Speak Out
program is generating 31,159 letters to the Senate and 14,203
letters to the House asking Members to reject legislation that
singles out lesbian and gay people for discrimination.  HRCF is
also coordinating communications activities with the federal Gay,
Lesbian & Bisexual Employees (GLOBE) organization.

                                  - 30 -

     1101 14th Street, NW  Suite 200  Washington, DC  20005      
          phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323