Subject: ENDA - ACTION ALERT
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 17:12:04 -0400

*****************************************************************
ACTION ALERT            ACTION ALERT              ACTION ALERT

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

The Nation's Largest Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Political Group   
*****************************************************************
To contact the HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND, please call us at     
(202)628-4160, fax us at (202) 347-5323 or write to us at PO Box 
1396  Washington, DC  20013.  WE CANNOT RESPOND TO E-MAIL.  
*****************************************************************

             Human Rights Campaign Fund Action Alert Column:
                                    
                 Urge Congress to End Job Discrimination

     Cheryl Summerville worked as an award-winning cook at a
Cracker Barrel restaurant until the company fired its lesbian and
gay employees.  Her termination notice read, "Employee is
terminated due to violation of company policy.  Employee is gay."

She was left with no way to pay her mortgage or provide for her
family, and no law to turn to for justice.

     This could happen to you.  No federal law protects people
from discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.  You can
be fired, refused work, paid less or otherwise discriminated
against just for being lesbian, gay, bisexual, or even
heterosexual.  Only the District of Columbia, certain cities, and
eight states have laws protecting people from such job
discrimination:  California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Massachusetts,
Minnesota, New Jersey, Vermont and Wisconsin.  Elsewhere, you're
on your own.

     A poll commissioned by the Human Rights Campaign Fund (HRCF)
found that a majority of American voters support equal rights in
the workplace for lesbian and gay Americans.  That includes 64
percent of Republicans, 71 percent of Independents and 77 percent
of Democrats.  The American public clearly opposes job
discrimination against lesbian and gay people.

     The Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) is being re-
introduced in the 104th Congress to prohibit this kind of
discrimination.  ENDA won record support from Republicans,
Democrats, and Independents in the last Congress.  It can move
forward in the new Congress with your help.

     Well-funded radical right groups are attacking ENDA,
claiming that we seek "special rights."  In fact, lesbian and gay
Americans lack the most basic rights.  Help fight the radical
right's distortion campaign.  Call, write, e-mail, fax and visit
your Senators and Representative.  Ask them to support the
Employment Non-Discrimination Act.

Write to your Senators and Representative.  Send a politely
worded letter to:

The Honorable _______________       The Honorable ___________
U.S. Senate                         U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20510                Washington, DC 20515

Call them.  Dial the U.S. Capitol at (202) 224-3121.  If you
aren't sure who your Senators and Representative are, just ask
the switchboard operator.

Fax and e-mail them.  Call and ask for their fax number.  Some
Members of Congress have gone on-line, so ask for their e-mail
address as well.

Copy this Action Alert column for your friends and ask them to
help too.  The more equal rights supporters Congress hears from,
the sooner we'll have equal rights.

For more information, call HRCF.  Our Federal Advocacy Network
(FAN) will provide free information on contacting your elected
officials.  Call 202-628-4160 or write FAN at HRCF, PO Box 1396,
Washington, DC 20013.

The Human Rights Campaign Fund (HRCF), the nation's largest
lesbian and gay political organization, works to end
discrimination, secure equal rights, and protect the health and
safety of all Americans.  To join, call (800) 777-HRCF (777-
4723).

     1101 14th Street, NW  Suite 200  Washington, DC  20005      
          phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323