Subject: US Dept. of Veterans Affairs Protects Employees from Discrimination
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 17:50:19 -0400

*****************************************************************
PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

The Nation's Largest Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Political Group   
*****************************************************************
To contact the HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND, please call us at     
(202)628-4160, fax us at (202) 347-5323 or write to us at PO Box 
1396  Washington, DC  20013.  
*****************************************************************

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Monday, August 21, 1995

         U. S. DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS PROTECTS EMPLOYEES
             FROM DISCRIMINATION BASED ON SEXUAL ORIENTATION
                                    
           -- HRCF Hails Inclusion of Gay VA Workers in Basic
                      Non-Discrimination Policy --
                                    
     Washington -- The Human Rights Campaign Fund (HRCF) today
praised the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs for becoming the
latest cabinet-level government department to include sexual
orientation in its non-discrimination policy.  In an August 16
statement entitled "Reaffirmation of Equal Employment Opportunity
Policy," VA Secretary Jesse Brown asserts that the VA "does not
condone nor tolerate discrimination based on race, color,
national origin, sex (including sexual harassment), religion, age
(over 40), disability or sexual orientation, in any of its
personnel policies, practices, and operations." 

Since the early days of the Clinton administration, HRCF and
other groups that advocate equal rights for lesbian and gay
people had urged the president to prohibit anti-gay
discrimination in federal employment.  The administration
responded by instructing the various departments and independent
government agencies to issue such policies.

"The VA is sending a clear message of fairness to its employees.
When it comes to employment practices, the abilities and
performance of the individual workers are what matter, not their
sexual orientation," according to HRCF Political Director Daniel
Zingale.  "Since federal civil rights laws do not protect
Americans from being fired merely for being gay, lesbian or
bisexual, the non-discrimination policies of each department are
important."

HRCF and a coalition of civil rights organizations are
spearheading an effort to pass the Employment Non-Discrimination
Act (ENDA) in Congress.  Reintroduced in June with record
bipartisan support, ENDA would ban job discrimination based on
sexual orientation.  The bill would prohibit quotas and
preferential treatment, and it would exempt religious
organizations, small businesses, and the military.

The Human Rights Campaign Fund (HRCF), the largest national
lesbian and gay political organization, works to end
discrimination, secure equal rights, and protect the health and
safety of all Americans.  With a national staff, and volunteers
and members throughout the country, HRCF lobbies the federal
government on lesbian, gay, and AIDS issues; educates the general
public; participates in election campaigns; organizes volunteers;
and provides expertise and training at the state and local level.

                                  - 30 -

         1101 14th Street, NW  Suite 200  Washington, DC  20005
               phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323