Subject: Rep. Cunningham Apologizes to HRCF
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 16:58:08 -0400

*****************************************************************
PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND

The Nation's Largest Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Political Group
*****************************************************************
To contact the HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND, please call us at
(202)628-4160, fax us at (202) 347-5323 or write to us at PO Box
1396  Washington, DC  20013.  WE CANNOT RESPOND TO E-MAIL.
*****************************************************************

FOR RELEASE:  FRIDAY, MAY 12, 1995

               REP. CUNNINGHAM APOLOGIZES TO HRCF FOR ANTI-GAY SLUR

     Apology for  Homos in the Military  Comment Made at HRCF Press
Conference

     WASHINGTON -- U.S. Rep. Randy Cunningham (R-Calif.), who yesterday
referred to
 homos in the military  on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives,
today apologized for
his remark at a press conference called by the Human Rights Campaign Fund
(HRCF). Ten
Members of Congress joined HRCF Executive Director Elizabeth Birch outside
the Capitol in
condemning Cunningham s slur.

      His remark was nothing short of bigotry,  Birch told a gathering of
national news media.
 It was beneath the dignity of the Congress.  The voters are looking for this
Congress to address
the business of the nation, not engage in gratuitous gay bashing.

     Cunningham showed up at the press conference and listened to the
remarks.  Birch invited
him to speak, saying it would be  the perfect opportunity to apologize.

      If the term  homos in the military  is offensive, I apologize,
 Cunningham said,
addressing Birch.  He went on, however, to say that he continues to believe
that gay and lesbian
service members  degrade  military readiness.

      The apology was a victory, but it s a shame that he continues to spread
myths about gay
and lesbian service members -- many of whom have given their lives for their
country,  Birch
said.   Gay and lesbian people serve with distinction in the armed forces,
and they should not
face discrimination.

     Other Members of Congress attending the press conference included Reps.
Peter DeFazio
(D-Ore.), Elizabeth Furse (D-Ore.), Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Tex.), Nita Lowey
(D-N.Y.), Jerrold
Nadler (D-N.Y.), Bernard Sanders (I-Vt.), Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), Gerry
Studds (D-Mass.),
Mike Ward (D-Ky.) and Henry Waxman (D-Calif.)

     The Human Rights Campaign Fund, the nation s largest lesbian and gay
political
organization,  works to end discrimination, secure equal rights and protect
the health and safety
of all Americans.  With a national staff, and volunteers and members
throughout the country,
HRCF lobbies the federal government on lesbian, gay and AIDS issues; educates
the general
public; participates in election campaigns; organizes volunteers; and provides
 expertise and
training at the state and local level.

                                       - 30 -

             1101 14th Street, NW  Suite 200  Washington, DC  20005
                      Phone (202)628-4160   Fax (202)347-5323