Subject: HRCF BLASTS GRAMM FOR "PANDERING" TO EXTREMISTS
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 17:59:59 -0400

*****************************************************************
PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

The Nation's Largest Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Political Group   
*****************************************************************
To contact the HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND, please call us at     
(202)628-4160, fax us at (202) 347-5323 or write to us at PO Box 
1396  Washington, DC  20013.  
*****************************************************************

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Friday, August 18, 1995

             HRCF BLASTS GRAMM FOR "PANDERING TO EXTREMISTS"
                                    
    -- Presidential Hopeful Draws Fire From Equal Rights Group --
                                    
     Washington -- The Human Rights Campaign Fund today denounced
Texas Sen. Phil Gramm for backing an effort to oust a longtime
member of the Des Moines School Board known to be gay.  The Iowa
Christian Coalition, a chapter of televangelist Pat Robertson's
far-right political group, is targeting Jonathan C. Wilson for
defeat in the upcoming school board elections.  Wilson recently
acknowledged that he is gay, amidst an effort by right-wing
activists to defend anti-gay discrimination in a proposed change
to the school district's curriculum.

Referring to the curriculum controversy in a letter seeking
support from members of the anti-gay group The Report, Gramm
condemned the "radical homosexual community" for mounting an
"attack on our children" and accused lesbian and gay people of
threatening "the very essence of our nuclear families."  The
Report is a militant anti-gay organization which has circulated
explicit, one-sided videotapes in efforts to smear lesbian and
gay Americans.  Gramm's attention to Iowa's far right comes on
the eve tomorrow's presidential straw poll in Ames.  The Iowa
caucuses next February will be the first major battleground in
the 1996 presidential campaign.

"It's sad to see Senator Gramm pandering to extremists," said
HRCF Political Director Daniel Zingale.  "It appears Gramm
believes the only way to get attention for his floundering
presidential campaign is to divide the country.  Voters of all
stripes reject discrimination, and will see through his thinly
veiled attempt to prey on public fear for political gain. 
Lesbian and gay people are very much a part of American families,
and should not be targeted for discrimination.  The school board
race should be decided on the merits of the candidates, not the
myths conjured up about irrelevant issues."

The Human Rights Campaign Fund (HRCF), the largest national
lesbian and gay political organization, works to end
discrimination, secure equal rights, and protect the health and
safety of all Americans.  With a national staff, and volunteers
and members throughout the country, HRCF lobbies the federal
government on lesbian, gay, and AIDS issues; educates the general
public; participates in election campaigns; organizes volunteers;
and provides expertise and training at the state and local level.

                                 - 30 -
                                    
         1101 14th Street, NW  Suite 200  Washington, DC  20005
               phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323