Subject: HRCF PRESS RELEASE
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 94 17:07:01 -0400 Eastern

PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE  

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

The nation's largest lesbian, gay and bisexual political group   

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                    CONTACT:  Gregory  King
                                             (202) 628-4160 work
                                             (202) 547-4310 home

             VISA RULES TO BE LIFTED FOR GAY GAMES

     WASHINGTON, DC (March 23, 1994)  The U. S. Department of
Justice has approved a temporary ten-day admission of HIV
positive people to the U.S. for the Gay Games IV in New York
City.  In a statement released on March 22nd, the Attorney
General gave her approval after the U.S. Department of Health and
Human Services said exclusion of HIV+ individuals "would be
inconsistent with the policy of combatting discrimination against
individuals who have the HIV infection."

     The Human Rights Campaign Fund, which had sought the waiver,
called the Attorney General's decision "an important step against
discrimination and a defeat for the Radical Right."  Tim
McFeeley, executive director of the Campaign Fund, noted that
radio personality Rush Limbaugh and his allies on Capitol Hill
had called on the public to oppose the lifting of the visa
restrictions.  Congressman Lamar Smith (R-TX) had written to
Reno, asking her to deny the request for a waiver, citing the
policy which bars HIV positive people from entering the U.S.

     The Campaign Fund, along with Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney
(D-NY) and Congressman Henry Waxman (D-CA), urged Reno to issue
the waiver.  "This decision is a defeat for the Radical Right and
those who believe that discrimination is a cure for AIDS.  The
visa waiver is a victory for public health authorities and other
Americans who know that discrimination against people with AIDS
is wrong," McFeeley said.
  
     The Campaign Fund has been working with Congress and the
Administration with the hope of one day lifting the exclusionary
immigration policy completely.

                              - 30 -  

        1012 14th Street, NW  Suite 607  Washington, DC  20005    
             phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323