Subject: HRCF Press Release: McFeeley Testifies Before Congress on Health Care
From: [email-masked] (Ron Buckmire)
Date: 3 Feb 1994 14:24:44 -0600

PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND

The nation's largest lesbian, gay and bisexual political group

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                   CONTACT:  Gregory King
                                        (202) 628-4160 work
                                        (202) 547-4310 home

        McFEELEY CALLS FOR NON-DISCRIMINATION PROTECTION
                FOR LESBIAN AND GAY AMERICANS IN
                        HEALTH CARE REFORM

     WASHINGTON, DC  (January 31, 1994)  In testimony before the
House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health and the
Environment, the executive director of America's largest lesbian
and gay political group today called on Congress to protect lesbian
and gay Americans from discrimination in health care reform.

     "Documented experiences of the lesbian and gay community in
the current health care delivery system demonstrate the need to
include us in the anti-discrimination provisions of the law you
enact," said Tim McFeeley, executive director of the Human Rights
Campaign Fund.  "The bill as it is currently drafted does not
prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.  It
should."

     McFeeley testified on behalf of four national lesbian and gay
organizations:  the Human Rights Campaign Fund, the National Center
for Lesbian Rights, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, and
American Association of Physicians for Human Rights.

     "Our organizations represent millions of lesbian and gay men
whose needs have been overlooked by the mainstream health care
delivery system," McFeeley said.  He cited high rates of chronic,
life threatening diseases, "including HIV/AIDS, cardiovascular
disease, breast and cervical cancer."  McFeeley also noted the
"special confidentiality concerns" of lesbian and gay Americans and
the failure of the health and legal systems to recognize "our most
intimate family relationships" as other issues that affect the
community's access to health care.

     McFeeley called for specific language to include "non-
traditional families" in the health care reform bill.  Unless they
are specifically included in the plan, members of non-traditional
families will be denied the lower family premium rate and be unable
to participate in collateral mental health services.  McFeeley said
the legislation should be modified "to include a more accurate and
comprehensive definition of family."

     In a direct challenge to members of Congress who deny there is
a health care crisis in the United States today, McFeeley outlined
the problems his organization currently faces in finding health
insurance for its employees after their insurer filed for
bankruptcy.  "We have spent months trying to obtain new coverage.
But company after company, broker after broker, tells us we are too
small and have had too many claims"  as a result of HIV/AIDS.

     "For other small employers, other catastrophic conditions put
them in the same crisis," McFeeley said.  If members of Congress
believe that no crisis exists or believe all small employers can
obtain coverage, McFeeley said:  "I would appreciate their help in
finding health insurance."

                              - 30 -

     1012 14th Street, NW  Suite 607  Washington, DC  20005
          phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323

---
RON BUCKMIRE, 11 Colvin Circle, Troy, NY 12180-3735. ``Love Your Gender!''
[email-masked][email-masked]||+1 518 276 8910
MaliVai Washington, Eric Nies, Marky Mark, Jake Tanner and Richard Grieco.