Subject: HRCF PRESS RELEASE
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 14:31:55 -0400 Eastern

PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE  

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

The nation's largest lesbian, gay and bisexual political group   

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                   CONTACT: Gregory King
                                          (202) 628-4160 work
                                          (202) 547-4310 home

     HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND HIRES STACIE SPECTOR TO HEAD
          EFFORT TO DEFEAT 1994 STATE ANTI-GAY INITIATIVES 

     WASHINGTON, DC (February 15, 1994)  Stacie Spector, a long-
time political consultant, has been selected to lead the Human
Rights Campaign Fund's Ballot Measure Campaign.  Stacie comes to
the Campaign Fund with a wealth of experience in electoral
politics.

     In 1992, Spector ran the successful statewide ballot
initiative in Maryland which defeated an anti-choice measure.  In
addition, she managed a U.S. Senate campaign in 1993.  She also
was deputy campaign manager for Senator Tom Harkin's (D-IA)
re-election in 1990.  She has worked on campaigns in California,
Louisiana, New Jersey, Virginia and Massachusetts.

     "We are excited to have Stacie as our Ballot Measure
Campaign Director," said Human Rights Campaign Fund executive
director Tim McFeeley.  "With her background, she is in a strong
position to work with the state campaigns to help them win their
elections."

     The radical right is working to have voters enact legal
discrimination against lesbians and gays in Oregon, Washington,
Idaho, Arizona, Montana, Nevada, Michigan, Missouri, Florida and
Ohio.  While none of these measures has yet qualified, the
Campaign Fund expects several to be on November's ballot.

     To help defeat these measures, the Campaign Fund will
educate voters that lesbians and gays face discrimination and
that there are no federal laws to protect them.  It also will
build on earlier grassroots efforts to train a corps of
volunteers in each state threatened by a ballot measure.

     The Campaign Fund will continue to enlist religious, labor,
business and other leaders and educate the American people about
the true agenda of the radical right.  Finally, the Campaign Fund
will work directly with state campaigns to assist them to defeat
the radical right.

                              -30-

    1012 14th Street, NW  Suite 607  Washington, DC  20005      
           phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323