Subject: HRCF PRESS RELEASE
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 94 16:51:54 -0400 Eastern

PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE  

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

The nation's largest lesbian, gay and bisexual political group   

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                   CONTACT:  Gregory King
                                        (202) 628-4160 work
                                        (202) 547-4310 home

         U.S. HOUSE VOTES TO PROTECT GAY YOUTH PROGRAMS

     WASHINGTON, DC  (March 24, 1993)  By a vote of 224 to 194,
the U.S. House of Representatives delivered a significant defeat
to opponents of school programs and activities that provide
support to lesbian and gay teenagers.  The vote came on a
second-degree amendment to a proposal offered by Rep. Mel Hancock
(R-MO) which would have denied federal funds to any school
district which funded programs or activities which "has either
the purpose or effect of encouraging or supporting
homosexuality."

     The Hancock language was undercut by an amendment introduced
by Congresswomen Jolene Unsoeld (D-WA) which affirmed local
control over school programs and restricts federal intrusion into
local educational decisions.  Lobbyists for the Human Rights
Campaign Fund indicated that they would work to eliminate any
anti-gay language in the Elementary and Secondary Education Act
as it moves through the legislative process.

     "This vote was a major setback for the Radical Right," said
Daniel Zingale, Public Policy Director of the Human Rights
Campaign Fund, which led the lobbying effort to pass the Unsoeld
Amendment.  "The Traditional Values Coalition, the American
Family Association and the Christian Coalition told members of
Congress that a vote in favor of the Unsoeld Amendment would be a
vote to promote homosexuality with taxpayer's funds.  Yet, a
bipartisan majority of Congress rejected their anti-gay rhetoric
and threats."

     In recent weeks, the Radical Right escalated its efforts to
pass the Hancock Amendment, including the distribution on Capitol
Hill of graphic AIDS and safer sex educational materials designed
for adults.  The Rev. Lou Sheldon of the Traditional Values
Coalition asserted at a press conference that the materials were
being distributed in schools.  These attempts to distort the
issue were met with an increased level of activity by the
Campaign Fund, People for the American Way, the American Civil
Liberties Union, the National Education Association, NGLTF and
other groups.  

     For weeks before the vote, the Campaign Fund's staff
provided materials to Hill offices on the Hancock Amendment.  As
the vote approached, Zingale, along with HRCF lobbyists Nancy
Buermeyer, Kris Pratt, Cathy Woolard, Kevin Layton, and executive
director Tim McFeeley spent several intensive days meeting with
House members and their staffs.  At the same time, grassroots
activists mobilized throughout the country.  Members of the
Federal Advocacy Network were alerted to place phone calls and
send letters to Hill offices and thousands of Speak Out
participants contacted their representatives.

     "This vote was very important.  We are now in a strong
position, as the bill moves to conference, to protect programs of
major importance to lesbian and gay young people," Zingale said. 
In addition to counseling programs in school districts throughout
the country, the Unsoeld Amendment also protects programs such as
the Harvey Milk School in New York, and Project 10 programs in
Los Angeles and San Francisco.

                              - 30 -

     1012 14th Street, NW  Suite 607  Washington, DC  20005      
          phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323