Subject: PEOPLE OF COLOR SUMMIT 9-16 &17
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 94 10:50:10 EDT

*****************************************************************
PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

The Nation's Largest Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Political Group   
*****************************************************************
To contact the HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND, please call us at     
(202)628-4160, fax us at (202) 347-5323 or write to us at PO Box 
1396  Washington, DC  20013.  WE CANNOT RESPOND TO E-MAIL.  
*****************************************************************

          THE NATIONAL BLACK LESBIAN AND GAY LEADERSHIP FORUM

MEDIA ADVISORY                     CONTACT:  Mandy Carter
                                             202-628-4160 x8047

                          PEOPLE OF COLOR SUMMIT:
              COUNTERING THE RADICAL RIGHT IN OUR COMMUNITIES

     WASHINGTON -- National and local groups representing people
of color will gather in Washington this weekend, during the
Christian Coalition's annual Road to Victory conference, to rally
against the Radical Right's agenda of discrimination against gay
people of all colors. 

FRIDAY, SEPT. 16:        Unity Rally
                         6:00 p.m.
                         First Congregational Church
                         10th and G Streets, NW

SATURDAY, SEPT. 17:      Strategy and Organizing Conference
                         Press Briefing at 4:00 p.m.
                         Human Rights Campaign Fund
                         1101 14th St., NW - Second Floor

RALLY SPEAKERS:

  Vallerie Wagner and Gregory May, National Black Gay and Lesbian
     Leadership Forum
  Mandy Carter, National Black Gay and Lesbian Leadership Forum
  Julio Abreu, Human Rights Campaign Fund
  Yolanda Santiago, National Latino/a Lesbian and Gay
     Organization
  Karen Bullock-Jordan, National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
  Donald Suggs, Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation
     (GLAAD)
  Abner Mason, Log Cabin Republicans
  Rev. Rainey Cheeks, Inner Light Unity Fellowship
  Dr. Elias Farajaje-Jones, Howard University Divinity School
  Derek Livingston, North Carolina Pride PAC

BACKGROUND:

     Despite a history of opposition to civil rights, national
Radical Right groups are attempting to recruit people of color to
further a divisive, discriminatory agenda.  Discrimination based
on sexual orientation is widespread and legal, and the far right
is trying to keep it that way by dividing people of color over
the issue.  The People of Color Summit is uniting gay and non-gay
people of all colors who are proud to stand up to the Radical
Right's discriminatory agenda.

     1101 14th Street, NW  Suite 200  Washington, DC  20005      
          phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323