From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 94 13:00:29 -0400 Eastern

*****************************************************************
ACTION ALERT             ACTION ALERT             ACTION ALERT
 
From the Human Rights Campaign Fund's Federal Advocacy Network
 
ACTION ALERT             ACTION ALERT             ACTION ALERT
*****************************************************************
 
          THE EMPLOYMENT NON-DISCRIMINATION ACT OF 1994
                       HR 4636   &   S 2238
 
     There are currently 146 Co-sponsors of the Employment Non-
Discrimination Act of 1994 (ENDA).  This is a record number for
legislation ending discrimination on the basis of sexual
orientation.  The Campaign Fund's Public Policy Team in
Washington and our F.A.N. State Coordinators, Congressional
District Coordinators and Citizen Advocates nationwide are
pushing more legislators to support this effort to end
discrimination in the workplaces America.
 
     More than half the Members of the House of Representatives
and 70 of the 100 U.S. Senators have already pledged to HRCF not
to allow discrimination based on sexual orientation in their own
offices.  If each of them were to co-sponsor and vote for this
bill it would win today.  Your phone call or letter today can
make a difference in pushing them to once again fight
discrimination in the workplace by co-sponsoring ENDA.
 
     ***If you live in ARIZONA, CALIFORNIA, GEORGIA, ILLINOIS,
NEBRASKA, OREGON, PENNSYLVANIA, SOUTH CAROLINA, TEXAS, VIRGINIA,
or WASHINGTON your help is needed immediately.  Call our Federal
Advocacy Network team in our national office (202)628-4160 to
find out how YOU can make a special difference right now.  
 
     Please make your phone calls and send your letters today. 
The phone number for the Capitol Hill Switchboard is (202)224-
3121.  Below is a sample letter to use as a guide.  For more
information about the Employment Non-Discrimination Act of 1994
(ENDA) or about the Human Rights Campaign Fund's Federal Advocacy
Network (FAN) call our Public Policy Department at (202)628-4160.

                         **********************

                 EMPLOYMENT NON-DISCRIMINATION ACT (ENDA)
                               SAMPLE LETTER

 
The Honorable __________             The Honorable_____________
United States Senate          and    United States House of Reps.
Washington, DC 20510                 Washington, DC 20515
 
Dear Senator/Representative _________________:
 
I urge you to cosponsor the Employment Non-Discrimination Act of
1994 (S. 2238/HR. 4636).  This bill, which was introduced by
Senator Edward Kennedy and Representatives Gerry Studds and
Barney Frank on Thursday, June 23, would simply prohibit
discrimination in employment against lesbians, gay men,
bisexuals, and heterosexuals alike.
 
According to a professional poll commissioned by the Human Rights
Campaign Fund, 76% of Americans believe that people should not be
fired or discriminated against in employment because of their
sexual orientation.  Yet, every day, many hardworking, patriotic
Americans are.    
 
Cheryl Summerville was fired from Cracker Barrel Old Country
Store, Inc. despite her exemplary record because she objected to
the firing of a fellow employee for being gay.  Her separation
notice read: "This employee is being terminated due to violation
of company policy.  The employee is gay."  Cracker Barrel has
fired over a dozen people under this policy.   
 
Discrimination based on prejudice hurts our economy and spirit,
and violates the fundamental American values of fairness and
equality.  30 Senators and 116 Representatives have stood
against such discrimination by cosponsoring ENDA.  Please stand
up to fear and ignorance and support the prohibition of
discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation by cosponsoring
this most American of acts.  
 
I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.  Thank you.
 
Sincerely,

                         ***************