From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 May 94 17:28:58 -0400 Eastern

PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE  
 
               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    
 
The nation's largest lesbian, gay and bisexual political group   
 
FOR PRESS INFORMATION:
Dr. Klaus Mller, 202-488-2623
                                    
                       HOLOCAUST MUSEUM EXPLORES 
                 GAY AND LESBIAN HISTORY IN FILM SERIES
 
     WASHINGTON, DC (May 11, 1994) The United States Holocaust
Memorial Museum will offer four free programs on May 15, 17, and
19 on anti-gay Nazi persecution, continuing their ground-breaking
work on this little-documented victim group.
 
     "Stories Untold: Gays and Lesbians During the Holocaust" 
will explore a re-examination of the Holocaust that includes gays
and lesbians: the fate of the men with the pink triangle in the
camps, participation of gays and lesbians within the resistance,
the virtually-unknown life of lesbians under Nazi persecution,
and the systematic use of homophobia in Nazi propaganda.
 
     Tim McFeeley, executive director of the Human Rights
Campaign Fund, the largest national lesbian and gay political
organization, praised the Holocaust Memorial Museum for
scheduling the films.  "The U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum's film
series provides a rare glimpse of the gay participation in
resistance to the Nazi's campaign of terror.  This is an
important program which underscores the Museum's continuing
commitment to remembering the gay victims and opponents of the
Nazi regime."
 
     Dr. Klaus Mller, an openly gay man hired two years ago as a
consultant to the Holocaust Memorial Museum, organized the film
series.  "Despite the widespread use of the pink triangle as a
symbol in the gay and lesbian community, we still know very
little about those who suffered wearing it," Mller said.  "What
do we know about the contribution of gays and lesbians to the
resistance against the Nazis?  Long before Stonewall, they
understood the meaning of civil and human rights for all people. 
This Museum is one of the few places where information about this
history is available."  Mller collected the gay-related material
for the Permanent Exhibition and is currently conducting
interviews with gay Holocaust survivors in Germany.  
 
     Films will be shown on Sunday May 15th at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.;
on Tuesday, May 17th at 7 p.m.; and on Thursday, May 19th at 7
p.m. For information on availability of tickets, call
202-488-0427.
    
                                  -30-
         1012 14th Street, NW  Suite 607  Washington, DC  20005   
  
                     phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323