Subject: HRCF ANNOUNCES HEALTH POLICY ADV
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 17:50:54 -0500

*****************************************************************
PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE            PRESS RELEASE

               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND                    

The Nation's Largest Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Political Group   
*****************************************************************
To contact the HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND, please call us at     
(202)628-4160, fax us at (202) 347-5323 or write to us at PO Box 
1396  Washington, DC  20013.  WE CANNOT RESPOND TO E-MAIL.  
*****************************************************************
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
               
                  HRCF NAMES CYNTHIA "WINNIE" STACHELBERG
                   TO BE SENIOR HEALTH POLICY ADVOCATE

     WASHINGTON, DC  (November 18, 1994)  The Human Rights
Campaign Fund, the largest national lesbian and gay civil rights
organization, has hired former Office of Management and Budget
(OMB) staffer Cynthia "Winnie" Stachelberg to be its Senior
Health Policy Advocate.

     Stachelberg served as a health policy expert in the Office
of Management and Budget, one of the most prestigious agencies in
the federal government.  As a Budget Examiner in the Health and
Maintenance Division of the OMB from September of 1990 until
September of 1993, she formulated and reviewed health care
budgets for the Office of the Secretary at the Department of
Health and Human Services.

     Daniel Zingale, HRCF's Public Policy Director, notes that
Stachelberg's bi-partisan experience at OMB during the Bush and
Clinton Administrations will be of importance as AIDS and other
health care issues are addressed in the new Congress.  "Winnie
has an insider's view of the federal health care budget and will
be able to identify areas where we can make progress," Zingale
said.  At OMB, she worked with OMB Director Leon Panetta, who
currently serves as White House Chief of Staff.  Stachelberg
served as one of OMB's representatives on the President's Health
Care Task Force.

     Prior to joining OMB, Stachelberg earned a Masters of Public
Administration degree from the George Washington University in
Washington, D.C.  Her undergraduate degree is from Georgetown
University.  She has also been an associate policy analyst at the
National League of Cities and a high school english teacher.

     "At this time of uncertainty over the future of AIDS
appropriations and other health care priorities, I look forward
to working at the Campaign Fund," Stachelberg said.  "We face
serious challenges with the next Congress.  The Ryan White CARE
Bill needs reauthorization, and funding for critical AIDS
research, prevention and care programs is in short supply.  I
will be working with other AIDS advocacy organizations to develop
a more strategic, long-term and unified approach on AIDS and the
other health care concerns facing the lesbian and gay community."
                    
                                  - 30 -

     1101 14th Street, NW  Suite 200  Washington, DC  20005      
          phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323