From: [email-masked] Tue Sep 20 09:02:19 1994
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 17:22:01 EDT

*****************************************************************
URGENT ACTION          FAN ACTION ALERT             URGENT ACTION
               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND

The Nation's Largest Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Political Group
*****************************************************************
To contact the HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND, please call us at
(202)628-4160, fax us at (202) 347-5323 or write to us at PO Box
1396  Washington, DC  20013.  WE CANNOT RESPOND TO E-MAIL.
*****************************************************************
SEPTEMBER 19, 1994 ACTION ALERT - ESEA PRESSURE NEEDED

                           SAMPLE PHONE SCRIPT

1    Call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 to obtain your
     Senators' and Representative's phone numbers.

2    If a Member is a conferee, tell the office:

     "As a conferee on the Elementary and Secondary Education
     Act, I urge you to remove the Hancock/Helms language which
     attacks lesbian and gay youth.  That language gives the
     message that these youth are dispensable and would send them
     back to the isolation that leads to despair.  Please use the
     Unsoeld/Kennedy language instead."

     If a Member is not a conferee, tell the office:

     "Please encourage your colleagues on the Elementary and
     Secondary Education Act conference committee to remove the
     Hancock/Helms language which attacks lesbian and gay youth.
     That language gives the message that these youth are
     dispensable and would send them back to the isolation that
     leads to despair.  Please urge them to use the
     Unsoeld/Kennedy language instead."

3    Ask your friends and acquaintances to call and activate the
     phone trees of any other organizations in which you are
     involved.

4    Ask local education or youth organizations to write official
     letters to the conference committee.  Send us copies.

5    Please contact our national FAN team (202)628-4160 with any
     notable feedback.

     1101 14th Street, NW  Suite 200  Washington, DC  20005
          phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323