From: [email-masked] Tue Sep 20 09:02:27 1994
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 17:19:34 EDT

*****************************************************************
URGENT ACTION          FAN ACTION ALERT             URGENT ACTION
               THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND

The Nation's Largest Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Political Group
*****************************************************************
To contact the HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FUND, please call us at
(202)628-4160, fax us at (202) 347-5323 or write to us at PO Box
1396  Washington, DC  20013.  WE CANNOT RESPOND TO E-MAIL.
*****************************************************************

September 19, 1994

                                 Urgent!
                   CALL YOUR MEMBERS OF CONGRESS TODAY!
                     PROTECT LESBIAN AND GAY YOUTH!

Joint Conference Meeting

This week, a joint House-Senate conference committee will
consider the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA).  As
part of their consideration, this committee will take action on
two vital amendments which attack lesbian and gay youth  -- the
Hancock amendment and the Helms amendment.

Culmination of Six Month Fight

In this session of Congress, Radical Right members of the House
and the Senate, particularly Representative Mel Hancock (R-MO)
and Senator Jesse Helms (R-NC), cynically manipulated the ESEA to
attack lesbian and gay youth by offering amendments to prohibit
schools that receive federal dollars from having any program
or activity that has "the purpose or effect of encouraging or
supporting homosexuality as a positive lifestyle alternative."

HRCF, our coalition partners, and our allies in Congress resisted
their mean-spirited efforts and succeeded in passing second -
degree or alternative amendments by Representative Jolene Unsoeld
(D-WA) and Senator Edward Kennedy (D-MA) which mitigated the
effect of the original amendments.  The Unsoeld amendment to the
Hancock amendment affirmed local control over school programs and
restricted federal intrusion into local educational decisions.
The Kennedy alternative prohibited the direct use of federal
funds to "promote or encourage sexual activity" of any kind.

Hancock/Helms Language Unacceptable

The Hancock/Helms language would have a devastating effect on
schools and youth in this country if passed into law.  It would
send the message that lesbian and gay youth are dispensable and
it would force schools to choose between providing an environment
of support and tolerance for all students and receiving essential
federal dollars.  We must protect our youth by removing this
language!

Urge Conferees to Strike Language The purpose of the conference
committee is to resolve differences among the language passed by
the House and the Senate.  HRCF is urging the appointed conferees
to remove the Hancock/Helms language from the ESEA by using the
Unsoeld/Kennedy language.  Please study the sample phone script
and call your Representative and your Senators.  This week the
conference committee intends to finish its work, so please call
today!

For more information call the national Federal Advocacy Network
(FAN) team of the Human Rights Campaign Fund at (202)628-4160.

     1101 14th Street, NW  Suite 200  Washington, DC  20005
          phone:(202)628-4160      fax:(202) 347-5323